stepdown tire sizes

dougson
dougson Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
(Just moved this from General Discussion where I put it accidentally.) Did some research today and realized the tires on my '54 are too small. The factory size for a '54 Hornet was 7.10 15, which corresponds to a 235 75 15 or a 245 70 15 radial. Has anyone used these sizes? Will they (especailly the 245) clear the rear fenders?

Comments

• harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    the 235's are to big.. not enough clearance.....i prefer the 225 75r 15's
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I have 235's on my 49 but they are tight.This is with a custom made wheel (15 x 6 hoop on a Hudson center)and I have to pull the bottom of the shocks off to get the axle to drop enough to get them in
    and out of the rear wheelwell.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Have the 225/75s on my '51, on original wheels. I can get a rear wheel/tire out, barely ... wouldn't want anything bigger.
  • hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    i may be totally wrong here, but i thought i had read in several places 215/75/15 was close to the 7.10 and 225/7515 was closest to larger optional tire of 7.60 or whatever it was. was 215's what you were running and why were they too small?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Park W wrote:
    Have the 225/75s on my '51, on original wheels. I can get a rear wheel/tire out, barely ... wouldn't want anything bigger.

Same here with my 52 Hornet. Lee O'Dell
  • On the Hudson 5 inch rims you best use the 215x75R 15. 51/2" rims also. 225 and 235 are trouble, get a right rear flat and when you jack up the car the rear swings right. and try to install the big size. Try it in the rain as you have to remove the shock at the bottom to let the rear drop 2 inches more and it's still a job. Walt.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    On the Hudson 5 inch rims you best use the 215x75R 15. 51/2" rims also. 225 and 235 are trouble, get a right rear flat and when you jack up the car the rear swings right. and try to install the big size. Try it in the rain as you have to remove the shock at the bottom to let the rear drop 2 inches more and it's still a job. Walt.

And we all know the only time you get a flat is in the middle of a hurricane - even in North Dakota!!!!!!!!!!

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    The research I did shows that the 7.10 15 tire is about 28.5 inches in diameter. A 235 75 15 is about 28.8 inches in diameter. I have 205 75's on 5.5" rims on the front and 215 70's on 6.5" rims on the rear (the rims are Dodge). The diameter of these tires is about 26". I will try 225 75 all around.
  • Does anybody know what the specific width across the height of the rims should be exactly? I have a few Hudson rims and some non Hudson rims and I would like to know what I have. Rim lip to rim lip is measuring from 5 7/8" to 6 1/2". All are 15" rims
  • Starting in 1936 Hudson came out with 5 inch rims and stayed that way till 1954. On convertibles, they came with 5 1/2 inch rims. These are the only 2 sizes Hudsons used. Walt.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Starting in 1936 Hudson came out with 5 inch rims and stayed that way till 1954. On convertibles, they came with 5 1/2 inch rims. These are the only 2 sizes Hudsons used. Walt.

What about Jets? I have 15" rim that seems to have more back set than all my others and is a little more narrow.Perhaps 4 1/2". The tire would end up a little closer to the inside frame and the hub cap would be further out towards the curb. I thought it might be a Jet.It was in the trunk of my 49 as a spare when I got it. It fits a Stepdown, but looks a little strange. I don't think it's a Mopar either.
  • SuperDave
    Thought I would bring this thread back to life. What BRAND of tire was original equipment in 49? Most manufacturers stuck with what ever company would supply the lowest $$ procuct. I remember my fathers new 56 buick came wirh US Royal. They were not on there very long until he replaced them with Firestones. From the published advertisements, the white walls were very wide.. but how wide? I bet Walt can fill in the blanks.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    SuperDave - Hudson always used Goodyear as original equipment tires. Yes the '49's whitewall was super wide!
  • I have brand new, Goodyear reproductions of the OEM 7.1 tire that came with the car. The once I took off were the 2nd set put on by the first owner.
  • On my 54 Hornet I have 700 x 15 ... the biggest white walls I've ever seen .
  • All Hudsons came with Goodyears from day one. The 30's and 40's had the diamond thread. When they started white walls around 1946 they were 3 inch and starting in 1948 the white was 4 inch. Rub a curb and it took a month of sundays to clean them up. They also sold white wall flaps to put on the tire under the bead and when they flew apart, what a shimmy developed. Good only to 40 MPH. AH, those were the days. Walt.
  • I've been using for about 10 years P205/70R15's on my Pacemaker with no problems (admittedly, the rear tires are a slight tight fit when raising and lowering them, but this could be due to some body filler work done on the rear quarter panels).
  • IvarSweden
    IvarSweden Senior Contributor

This is what I put on my 48 C6, Goodyear Super Cushion 7.10 x 15. The closest to stock you can get today!
  • So the big different between a 700 vs 710 is the height of the side wall of the tire ...Is that true ..700 are taller ?
  • I'm running 7:60X15 Goodyears from Kelsey. Fit just fine. Handle just fine. Look correct.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Have L78 X15 on mine, and they work fine.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    check out http://www.cokertire.com/tire-sizes/710-15-bf-goodrich-2-1-2-whitewall-tire.html

They list all the diminsions for the tires they sell.

The one I linked you to is a 710*15 You can search for any size tire and find the deminsions.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    On my 54 four door sedan I have BF Goodrich Silvertown 7.60 X 15 that I got from Coker. Great tires but found one drawback. I can't get the spare tire into the spare tire well in the trunk, it's too tall! No big deal for me, I have a continental kit, it may be a concern for others though.

John Forkner
  • 7.60 -15 BF Goodrich from Coker for decades. No trouble with spare because mines a 51. lol :-))
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Oddly, I have a pair of 700.15 W.W.W.''s, and they are bigger in height and width than the 760.15's on the car. Almost impossible to get into the trunk well on my '53 Hornet. They sure mess around with tyre size designations, I have just bought a set of 775.15's and they are only half an inch bigger than than the 640.15's on my Jet. Has anyone experimented with nitrogen instead of air? Supposed to be a lot better.
  • SuperDave
    From what i can find on the internet.. If I want to stick to Goodyear 710X15 with the 4 1/4" white wall as original.. I have to deal with Kelsy Tire. They seem to have a lock on them.
  • 48 to 54 all had 5 inch rims with 7:10x15 in black wall or white wall. The convertibles had 5-1/2 rims with 7:60x15, also the hardtops. Again black or white walls. Radials size for the replacements are 215-75Rx15 for both rims. Bigger size tires are trouble, that is why some have split rim problems. Don't mention Coker to me or Press Kale. Walt.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2012
    SuperDave, Your local Goodyear can get them at "dealer" cost and sell them a the Kelsy Retail price. My local dealer included mounting and balancing.

At least in April 2007 they could.
  • would h78/15's fit on a 51 commodore six?
  • Since this is back up, I will comment.. My car came with too large Coker WWWs; 5. Can't use spare nest in trunk. No problem driving. Would certainly preferred Diamondback; don't like Cokers. Carry stock jack and 'scissor' jack. Never had a flat on road,but can change in garage. My main problem is lifting heavy tire. Something I have that not many have is a 12v compressor(the cigarette lighter one) AND pump-up rear shocks--Monroe!!
    Pump these up to highest level, then use scissor jack on axle; stabilize with stock jack. Carry a piece of 2x6 to put under scissor jack just in case. Moral: expect the worst and plan accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.