RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have updated our blog, for those of you that keep up with it:

http://www.52hornetvert.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Richie
    Richie Senior Contributor
    Great pics Russell, they show the tremendous amount of work invested and the results will be well worth it. "Great job". I love pics. Richie.
  • RL Chilton
    Richie-

Thanks! Looking forward to pics of your new car, as well!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited January 2012
    Great to see the progress being made. I can't wait to see it done - hopefully you will have it done by Gettysburg - people don't realize how much more you have to go - it's the small details that'll chew up time. But done or not I hope you will take it to G'burg in whatever state it is in.

Keep up the great work.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    RL Chilton wrote:
    I have updated our blog, for those of you that keep up with it:

http://www.52hornetvert.blogspot.com/

Great looking project. Thanks for the update.
    Gene.
  • RL Chilton
    Rob-

That's great! Sign me up for two of them. E-mail me with the particulars, please.

HETrlchilton@gmail.com(drop the HET)

Russell
  • Your car is going to be awesome Russel! Its a huge job doing what you are doing to that car. You show a pic of arm rests you need in your blog. About 5 months ago I made molds for that same type of arm rest. It was quite a challenge making the molds. They are so thin walled and yet large enough where it is hard to cast them without having holes or thin spots in them. If you are interested, I will try to cast you some. I would recommend that if you decide to get them from me you should probably get two of them so that they will match in color. I do make them in Ivory or off white but it isnt exactly the same as the original Hudson ones in color. I'm not even sure that the Hudson ones that are 60 years old are the color they were originally. I'm initially thinking of charging $50 each for them. I will sell them to anyone who is interested and in any color they need. Not necessarily the shade they need but at least the color. Happy Hudsoning. Rob
  • Russel

I sent you an email but for some reason it came back undeliverable. I sent you the particulars in a PM. Rob
  • RL Chilton
    Thanks, Rob. Sent you a PM.
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    Russell, make sure you get a set of window switches too. Rob's work is fantastic! and even if you have NOS they will look like crap next to those new armrests
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    really nice repos
    Mike
  • RL Chilton
    WOW!!!

I mean, superwow! Nick is right. Mine look good, those look better. Question: Will all my old parts fit into these new castings? Like the bakelite boxes? If so, I want a complete set, with brass sleeves and knobs.

Write me, Rob, and great work.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Wow, those look really nice! Have those been painted or are they coming out of the casting glossy like that? Also, is there some kind of UV additive in the mix to help keep them nice once installed?

They look fantastic! :)
  • Here are a few pics of the Stepdown Convertible Switch Bezels Nick is referring to.
    They turned out pretty nice. I started making them about 9 months ago. Initial pricing will be $125 for the 4 gang bezel; $35 each for the single gang bezels and $10 each for the knobs with brass sleeves; Knobs without brass sleeves will be $8 each. You should be able to use your own brass sleeves from the original knobs but I havent actually verified this. Rob

• RL Chilton
    bent metal wrote:
    Wow, those look really nice! Have those been painted or are they coming out of the casting glossy like that? Also, is there some kind of UV additive in the mix to help keep them nice once installed?

They look fantastic! :)

Great question!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Very nice work Rob!
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Ditto! Makes me wish I had power windows...
  • In answer to Bent Metals questions: The window switch bezels in the pics are just the way they look straight out of the molds. They aren't painted. As far as the UV characteristics; I will be using a UV inhibitor that is added to the resin when I cast the parts. From what I am told, all Urethane resins do change color over time when exposed to UV, no matter what you do to it. I do know that I have parts that I cast a year ago that haven't been outside,but only exposed to normal room daylight, and I can see no change in their color from when they were cast.
    Thanks a lot everyone for all of the positive comments and happy hudsoning:) Rob
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    RL Chilton wrote:
    WOW!!!

I mean, superwow! Nick is right. Mine look good, those look better. Question: Will all my old parts fit into these new castings? Like the bakelite boxes? If so, I want a complete set, with brass sleeves and knobs.
    superwow indeed! they truely are as at least as nice as the pictures show. mine were as nice as originals come, but with some fresh ivory parts they were just dirty looking.

you use your bakelite boxes, copper parts and pins. I needed to dress the corners a little just cleaned them with a shearp precision screwdriver but other than that they go together easy. honestly the worst part is getting the old apart. I had zero problems getting them to work. i tested as i went with a meter to be sure, it's a slick arrangement in the original design to get the solenoid and motor for up and solenoid only for down and that worked flawlessly with the new parts. you won't be disappointed.
  • Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I know these parts can be primed and painted. I dont know if they will warp or not. I would imagine all plastics warp if they get hot enough. Rob
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Very glad to see you are willing to invest the time and effort to make these plastic pieces. Do you have a complete list of the pieces you are making?
  • I haven't really advertised these parts; just what has been talked about here on the forum.

Here are some of the plastic parts that I have made so far:

Inner Door Handle and Window Crank Knobs and Bezels for pacemakers

Turn Signal Lever Knobs- Stepdown

Antenna Knob and Bezel- Stepdown

Shift Lever Knob without castle and ship inlay, (limited success with inlay)-Stepdown

Interior door lock Knobs- Stepdown

Arm Rests (plastic part) for early (with ribs), and late (without ribs) for Stepdowns. [ I am actually still having issues getting these to come out as good as I want them to be, but I think I'm close]

Convertible Switch bezels , both 4 gang and Single gang- Stepdown

Convertible Switch Knobs with brass sleeves- Stepdown

I have also been experimenting with making the entire Convertible switch including the plastic casings that hold the electrical parts, including all of the electrical parts. I have successfully made one working single gang prototype. It was quite a bit of work and I'm not sure there would be any demand for the complete units because most people would just need the bezels and knobs and use the rest of their original switch.

Wiper Control Knob with window washer button- 1950 Pacemaker, (may also fit 1947 hudson models but not sure)

If you guys can think of any other small plastic parts needed for Hudsons that there might be a small market for please let me know. I pretty much need an original part to start with. It would be much much harder trying to make a part from scratch. I havent yet done it and I'm not sure I could. Rob
  • RL Chilton
    edited February 2012
    The blog was updated this evening. Click on link below. :cheer:

thumb_e0a0f76ee61cce50261c41c0.jpg
  • hudsontech
    You're doing great, Russell - The old girl has gone from an ugly step-sister to a (almost) queen. With paint she's going to be beautiful. I can't imagine myself doing something like that - I don't have the patience for one thing.

You are to be commended - your work will stand alongside cars like Stig Ingravsson's '41 C8CV and Nick Sollon's '49 Convert.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Russell, I know what you are doing is for your pleasure and enjoyment. It took me 5 years to do my 53 coupe. Started by making all body parts fit like when new. Then started the complete job. When finished, I could drive across this country with no problems. Started in 1993 and finished in 1998, and have never touched any part of the car, and now the new speedometer when finished, shows 139,000 miles now in 14 years and nothing has ever been touched. Change oil every 3,000 miles, Castrol 10-40 and service chassis. Got 70,000 miles on first set of tires and am ready to replace the set now on the car. Change trans fluid and rear end gear oil before every cross country trip. Well worth the effort. Walt.
  • RL Chilton
    Well, it is a very momentous day! Today represents the end of searching for parts for the convertible. 6 years of searching, scouring, contacting, pleading, are coming to a close.

At the National this year, a lady informed Dave Sollon that her late husband had a set of rear seat ash trays for a convertible. These pieces are convertible-models only, and used from '48-'54. One would think that these would be somewhat plentiful, but one would be wrong!

Luckily for me, Dave instantly thought of me and my near-never-ending search for the last of the hard parts for my car. How great is that, a rag-top man helping another rag-top man with a hard to find, much sought after pair of parts. Love this club and the folks in it.! Thanks again, Dave! You can bet this wouldn't have happened in the Packard club.

I haven't been good at posting pics, but here are a few recent ones:

I've spent some time trying to get ready for the upholsterer, making door panels. Still have to make kick panels and the area under the door.

Also, I've completed the leather-grained parts and pieces:

I think I need some better taillights, though:

• RL Chilton
    As usual, constructive criticism is always appreciated!
  • RL Chilton
    Also, FINALLY found a second hub cap. Unreal how long it took to get that! (Thank you, Roy Marks!).

• hudsontech
    Looking gooder and gooder for certain!!!!! You are doing a great job with this car. Considering you started with virtually nothing and have brought it to this point is amazing. Don't start hurrying now - there will be a tendency to "want to get 'er done - NOW" coming around the corner.

Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Hi Russell, looks great. Are you going to put the stainless steel beading on the dash? Have you started on the division bar channeling. I would like to see photos and a how to on the division bars. Thanks VicTor Z " Vic's Auto Window Channeling"
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Looking better all the time Russell. Better than new when you're done.
    Gene.
This discussion has been closed.