1935 Hudson Terraplane Pick up

Unknown
edited November 2011 in HUDSON
How rare is a 1935 Terraplane pick up truck? I am told they are not supposed to exist... Anyone know how many they made and what years? Thanks Mark

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Back then a lot of cars were given the 'ute' treatment when they were superceded by a newer family vehicle. Some conversions were done a lot more professionally then others, that's not to say that the one in the photo wasn't done like that from new.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited November 2011
    Oh, they existed. In addition to 1935 pick-up trucks rated at 3/4 ton Hudson also produced a utility coach and a panel truck with a York-Hoover body, both also rated at 3/4 ton. How many '35 examples exist today is unknown - but if one says they don't exist then they will start showing up. LOL

There is no individual break-down of how many of each were shipped - only that 1,281 commercial vehicles were shipped.

Hudson started commercial production with the Dover, which was the only year for that model. There are records to indicate that there were Essex commercial cars produced in 1930, 1931 and 1933. No records have been found that would also point to a 1932 production, for some reason.

Offerings in the 1929-1933 production were the panel, screenside express (an open bed with a roof and screening on the sides) and a pickup truck.

In 1934 commercial vehicles were produced only in the Terraplane line, until 1939 when they became Hudson until 1947, when the last one was produced.

There is a 1948 or 1949 factory step-down, but it is the only one known and is still in existance.

A short list of known commercial models in the 1934-1938 years are Press Kale's 1934 pickup, a 1935 panel truck in Michigan, Dave Solon's 1936 panel currently being restored, several 1936 pickups, numerous 1937 pickup's and some 1938's.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • The photo looks to be a 34, maybe our old K-Gap owners truck. I have seen two 35 pick ups and one 35 panel in photos or for sale in the last 10 years.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    That is Press Kale's '34 Terraplane pickup in the photo. He completed the restoration after I sold him the truck. It is a genuine and totally authentic Hudson factory built example. I purchased the truck from the huge Harbaugh Hudson collection in McMinnville, Oregon. Mrs. Harbaugh is shown in the unrestored photo.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2011
    The photo is an example of what the one we have looks like. It has the '34 grill but the title says 1935.
  • That is Press Kale's '34 Terraplane pickup in the photo. He completed the restoration after I sold him the truck. It is a genuine and totally authentic Hudson factory built example. I purchased the truck from the huge Harbaugh Hudson collection in McMinnville, Oregon. Mrs. Harbaugh is shown in the unrestored photo.

Wayne: What happened to all the other Hudsons the Harbaugh's had on their property? Their place was kind of like the Soneff storage on the Colorado high desert. I recall talking with them at a Hudson meet. They had stopped at the meet on the way back to Oregon. A newly acquired Stepdown sedan was tagging along behind the tow car on a crank-up tow dolly.
  • StillOutThere
    I vaguely recall that several vehicles were sold before I arrived and several more after. I can't recall when Bob actually passed away - having met him earlier. My hunch is they were all individual sales to individual buyers. Today it would happen as an auction but not back then. There was some really great Hudson iron in that old logging barn and more outside.
  • Would love to see a photo of yours, no matter what the condition. I new of one like your's in Florida that had a rare hood emblem with a globe of the world in the center instead of the hex with Terraplane on it. It sold before I got there and last I heard was put on a Dodge Dakota frame. I am running a 35 hood on my 34. It was on it when i got it from Roy Marks. I bought a 34, but desided I liked the 35 hood better.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited November 2011
    There is only one 35 registered in the HET club, to Doug, in Suffield, CT

Larry Cramer
    Commercial Registrar
    HET Club
  • StillOutThere
    All '34 Hudsons and Terraplanes had squared fender corners front and rear as opposed to '35 fenders being rounded at the corners.
    All '34 H & T had a nickel plated over-the-center 4-position windshield opener mounted to the dash with three screws as opposed to '35s having an infinitely adjustable crank opener that scissored the windshield open.
    All '34 H & T had their headlamps mounted 1" lower on the '34 stands as opposed to the '35 stands which were taller.
    All '34 H & T had cloth fillers in their roofs as opposed to '35s having a steel insert panel.
    And of course there in the serial number on the plate on the firewall, the right frame, the front and rear axles to be compared to the reference books.

So is it a '34 or a '35?
  • The truck is in storage I will check and let you know.
  • StillOutThere
    Ranchomerced, any follow-up on this?
  • Unknown
    edited December 2011
    No, but partly because we can't qualify it's exact year. I do not own the truck but have been asked to help on it's restoration and or sale. Because I am a Mercedes restorer it really isnt my specialty. If anyone is interested please call Gary @ 808 990 4993. Mark www.ranchomerced.com
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Qoute by Hudson Tech:
    Hudson started commercial production with the Dover, which was the only year for that model. There are records to indicate that there were Essex commercial cars produced in 1930, 1931 and 1933. No records have been found that would also point to a 1932 production, for some reason.

A short list of known commercial models in the 1934-1938 years are Press Kale's 1934 pickup, a 1935 panel truck in Michigan, Dave Solon's 1936 panel currently being restored, several 1936 pickups, numerous 1937 pickup's and some 1938's.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN[/quote]

My thought is that there certainly were Essex-Terraplane commercial vehicles produced in 1932 - otherwise how do you explain the '32 E-T "Flower Car" on display at the Hudson Meuseum in Shipshwana IN?

Jerry
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    No, but partly because we can't qualify it's exact year. I do not own the truck but have been asked to help on it's restoration and or sale. Because I am a Mercedes restorer it really isnt my specialty. If anyone is interested please call Gary @ 808 990 4993. Mark www.ranchomerced.com

A serial number would be a big help.

1934 Commercial models ran 373000 to 396726 (This is a serial number block and doesn't necessarily mean that all numbers were used - there were only 1901 commercials of all types shipped in 1934.)

1935 Commercial models ran 51-101 to 51-37772 (again this is a serial number block - there were only 1,281 commercials shipped in 1935).

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • StillOutThere
    Whatever happened to Phil Roskie's '35 Terraplane pickup "Veggie Wagon" from Bay area of Nor Calif that was very well known in HET for at many years? Seems like it was even on the cover of the WTN at one time. Not sure how long ago Phil died -- maybe close to 10 years? Know his wife got rid of his massive literature collection and all the vehicles as quickly as possible but have no idea where the truck went. It was a very good original authentic example.
  • StillOutThere
    I have always considered the LEAST likely thing that would ever get changed between a '34 and '35 Hud or Terra to be the type of windshield opening mechanism. '34 having the over center hinge /latch handle screwed down on the upper center of the dash. '35 having the geared scissor and crank mechanism behind the dash pushing out on the lower windshield frame.
    Fenders, grille shells, grille inserts, headlamps and stands, hoods all get interchanged due to accidents.

So when you are looking at a rare and pricey '34 or '35 Hudson 8 convertible they sometimes strangely don't have the correct windshield opening mechanism for the year of the car. That usually tells me the only convertible body they could find didn't happen to match the chassis they had. And often the donor car was a Terraplane. Why are there so few '34 and 35 Terraplane convertibles in the US even though Terra outsold Hudson 3 or 4 to one? Uhhh, those former Terraplane converts have mysteriously morphed into much more valuable Hudson 8 converts and some Hudson 8 sedan bodies got put back onto Terraplane chassis. Its just a matter of nuts and bolts.
  • ROUSHGT
    ROUSHGT Expert Adviser
    A new member at AACA forums has a 1935 Terraplane Pick up that he is starting to restore. I just emailed him to make him aware of this thread. Maybe he will post up a picture and tell his story!

Doug
  • i would love to send a pic if i could figure out how to. Seems to be easier to pull a tooth.:woohoo:
  • [img]http://[/img]i would love to send a pic if i could figure out how to. Seems to be easier to pull a tooth.:woohoo:
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    edited December 2011
    Be sure your picture is stored in "my pictures" on your computer.
    Start a reply to a post, then click on "add file" button below the message section.
    Go to where your pictures are stored.
    Find the picture you want to post, and single click on it, then click Open.
    That should bring you back to your reply.
    Below the message box, click "insert"

And there ya go!

Do not be alarmed if the picture you are posting isn't as cute as Press Kale's '34- very few things are.
  • Have to pretty RARE My fathers own a 36' Terraplane Truck & it's one of a handful known that is all original . Neat picture I sure hope they made it, Beautyful It is a totally different grill than the 36', Sorry I dont have pics of it on this computer but will get some sone
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    edited December 2011
    The nicest 1936 Terraplane I have ever seen belongs to Scott White.

• 5130124 Seems to be mostly there. Had a 28 front bumper on it, thats what Press told me. Have parts coming from all over. thanks to everyone helping me.
  • My father bought this truck in Boise, Id. from J.M. Hatfield in 1992. After our elk hunting trip. I actually help push it on his car hauler that year. He was a car enthusiast as he had 10 or so old cars. He put in his garage and then never did another thing with it. He passed away in March this year and mom gave me the car. I have it in redondo beach now where i live. All i want to do is get it running. (Promised my Dad) I would take it for a ride up the PCH. I need a front right brake cable to get it off the jacks. Goal is April 19th for the start up. CHEERS and Merry Christmas. My e-mail address is tdunevant @hotmail.com
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    WOW!!!!! Very cool, and very rare, indeed. Please keep us posted on your progress. What a great Hudson truck!

Jerry-

In regards to the "flower car", I have not seen any documentation that support that car being a factory-built vehicle. It has been my impression that this might have been a custom purpose-built car by an outside coach-builder. Very beautiful car, and very well done, but not sure it is a true factory, or genuine commercial '32 vehicle. Would like to know more.

JMO-

Russell
  • Uncle Josh
    I wish you guys would send me name, rank and serial number of these trucks and I'd add them to the registry. However, if you join the club and tell Charlotte Sargent about your vehicle, I'll eventually get it.

Larry Cramer
    cramerlp@roadrunner.com
    HET Club Commerical Registrar
  • dave s wrote:
    The nicest 1936 Terraplane I have ever seen belongs to Scott White.

A couple of pictures of the same truck taken at former owner's Richfield Springs,NY residence in mid 70's .

These pictures have been shared with Scott.
  • Uncle Josh
    53jetman wrote:
    Qoute by Hudson Tech:

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN

My thought is that there certainly were Essex-Terraplane commercial vehicles produced in 1932 - otherwise how do you explain the '32 E-T "Flower Car" on display at the Hudson Meuseum in Shipshwana IN?

Jerry[/quote]

The Flower Car is registered thus:

1933 Hudson Terraplane Six Panel Delivery Flower Car 370629 6 1 Hostetler's Hudson Auto Museum Shipshewana IN
  • SamJ
    SamJ Senior Contributor
    There was supposed to be a '33 pickup in the LeMay collection in Tacoma, Wash before it became a full-blown Museum. I don't know if anyone has ever confirmed that...:cheer:
This discussion has been closed.