'53 NASCAR Hornet Under Construction

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited January 2014 in Street Rods
FYI

Came across this '53 Hudson Cpe under construction in NC during a recent Trip. Thought was neat the way he moved in the original Hudson Uniframe Rails to make 'Tubs' and inboard & outboarbed the rear shocks. The whole floorpan was removed by cutting spot welds so it can be re-used by someone....

Comments

• chopperchuck
    chopperchuck Expert Adviser
    looks good.
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI
    Received a picture of this Hornet Cpe on the Paint Booth today... Its all NASCAR Cup Car inside but the outside will be stock appearing with all the original Stainless... A couple of NASCAR Shop Fabricators are building this for a prominent Person around Charlotte area that seen Hornets Race back in the day...Its V8 powered with NASCAR Drive train.....image
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI
    Attached are a couple more pictures that I received tonite of this '53 Hornet Cpe in Mooresville NC... Look close.... Its all NASCAR front & rear Suspension & cage. They did a real nice Job building the Sub Frame connectors. The builders (worked as NASCAR Chassis Fabricators) , but doing this Hudson as a side Job. They drilled out much of whole floor and saved for someone to utilize..It will have all the Stainless on the outside and be pretty stock appearing. The Owner was involved with the CARS Movie Project, which actually was set on a Craftsman Truck Chassis but bought this Hornet in California & shipped to NC to build.... The pictures dont do it justice...
    It will probably in the Charlotte Good Guy Show next Yr and or the Charlotte Auto Fair....
    imageimage
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Awesome! I'd love to see it up close and personal. Thats the kind of build that a "how to" series should be made with. Something very different but with an historical base.
  • mdwhit
    mdwhit Expert Adviser
    So, if it has a V8 in it...it's really not a Hornet...is it?
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    I hope at least an AMC V8.
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    very cool :)
  • Very nice work
  • It would be fun to see. A 53 with 51 tail light openings. Huuummm
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI

When I happened upon this Car under construction in NC they had just pushed it outside to clean the garage as I was driving by so naturally I stopped. They had no idea where to get any parts or anything about the HET Club. They would have built a Hornet Motor had they known more earlier, but drive train was already completed.

The older Owner bought the Car missing a lot of pieces having seen the Fabulous Hudson's Race Yrs ago. He also had seen the rear wheel stick inside the fenders, flip costing drivers lives, so insisted on a Floater Rear End. The Fabricators knew nothing about Hudson, but had connection to Roush/Yates used Race Parts Depot in Mooresville, so the Fabricators went with all race car suspension.

I provided sources for bumper, lights,Trim parts, etc and thats why they send progress pictures to me in Pa. They pieced it together using any parts they could obta
    in.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Thanks for sharing, ol racer. I love that pic in the booth from the front. These cars are so cool even without the trim on them.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Love it! I would drive the hell out of that thing.
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI

I had the opportunity to see this '53 Hornet between the Holidays and attached few more pictures but they dont do this project justice. Its was dissembled to paint then reassembled over the bars that run full length. It has frame connectors from the front sub back into the stock rear frame, with moly tubing behind the bumpers and a protector tubing assembly below the rear bumper for deep Fuel Cell.

This Car was built almost strong enough to actually Oval Race, but never will licensed for the Street...

MORE Importantly is the Fact this Forum is the Greatest help to People that need assistance building their Hudson Projects.After I Posted the Parts needed People as far away as California , Ohio, and right nearby in NC came to their Aid.. The Builder wishes to Special Thank Lance in NC for all his Assistance obtaining MOST the 'little things' they needed.

This Fabricator Builder had NO Knowledge of Hudson Hornets until I stopped on Vacation after seeing it outside from a distance while they swept out the bay and they had No Idea where to obtain all the missing Parts... The elderly Owner knew all about the Fabulous Hudson Hornets, but was completely unaware of the large HET Club Network and this Forum..

I think their planning some large Events for this Car upon completion with Magnetic Graphics.........

• Love it Chuck,im looking to buy an SCCA chassis and fit a Hudson body on it and race it in the future....yea thats right ,im giving up motorcycle racing......never thought id say that.
  • Ol racer

Sounds like a Great Idea....Probably be safer after all of the mending that you have endured..... Let me know if I can assist....
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ol racer,

Do you think the owner and/or fabricator would like a couple of complimentary copies of the White Triangle News? I would also include a Membership Application to the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club. I just need to know who to mail them to and their address.

You can send me an email to HETForkner@aol.com (drop the HET)

John Forkner
    New Membership Coordinator
    Albright Award Coordinator
    Big Country Senior Director
    Hudson Essex Terraplane Club
  • Ol racer
    edited January 2014
    John,
    Great Minds think alike at times. I put a couple copies of the White Triangle and an Application Form in the US Mail this morning along with some various Hudson Decals .

The Owner is very aware of the Hornet Legacy but was unfamilar with our HET Club Network. I havent met the owner (yet) but the Fabricator's are very talented having built NASCAR Chassis...
    Thank You for your thoughtfulness
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    I'm sure the engine is a small block, probably a crate 383, they're everywhere now. If I was going to install a V8 in a Hudson I'd try to find a 352 or 374 Packard with a Caribbean dual-quad manifold and a couple of old WCFBs.
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    dougson - you'd sure have to beef up the front end 'cause that Packard V8 REALLY a heavy engine - my 1st job out of college was working at big former Packard agency (at the time a Stude. agency) & they still had some Packard customers. We had a mechanic whose sole job was to rebuild the Ultramatic trans. The old flat head 8 caused no problems but the big new V8 intro. in '55 just "ate up" those Utramatics ~
    I remember my grandfather's neighbor bought a Caribbean, I think a '53, with a wild 3-tone paint job!
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Couple pictures of the Hornet as getting final Buffing... Note the 'Tubing' that will be hidden by the rear bumper... The whole Chassis has Moly tubing grafted nicely into the Hudson Frame....
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    cool project. :)
  • cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor

I recently inquired about a 53 coupe in Santa Rosa, Ca.  Wonder if it's the same car?  Found a 52 closer to home. After the math had to go 52.

• cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor
    happen to have a 53 hornet that I would like to street rod.  Any ideas on what rear end would fit in place of the original?
  • Ol racer
    edited March 2014
    Ive used Ford 9" Rear's by having the tubes shortened. The 9" has a lot of Ratio's available however, the real narrow Ford 9" from old bronco's and '57 Ford's are real hard to find these days. Local Machine Shops can  shorten the tubes & respline the original axles, .. Modern Ford 8.8 Rear's are a good choice too. Either rear  End look for the narrowest Drum To Drum Housing with the 4.5" Hudson Bolt Circle so  wheels interchange to the front end.....
  • cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor
    Thanks, have some local Bronco fans that might set me up.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I think a Ford Granada or Lincoln Versailles will also fit
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Ford Ranger up to 1992 are 8.8 with width 56 1/2. I have one under my Pacemaker.
This discussion has been closed.