King Seeley Gauges & Senders

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi There
I have been Looking for information on the old Gauges for a 1934 Hudson LU, but am not having mutch luck. Do you know anyone that could help I am told that the wire is Ni-chrome wire 36 gauge but do not know what the technical details are for the wire. If I could get a book on the King Seele Gauges repair & maintenance with spesifications it would be gerat, It has to be wound on the BI-metal strip which has a sharp edge as per photos & the Insulation must be Heat Resistant. Apparently there are quite a lot of variations in heat with this type of wire.The Gauges are King Seele 6 volt and work by heating the Bi-metal strip Points open and close continually to give the readout at the gauge. Hpoe you can help.
Regards J B Leech {New Zealand}

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    edited April 2011
    Have you asked Geoff Clark in Wakefield, Nelson?
  • Hi there yes Geoff Clark is a Member of the NZ.Het Club.Geoff did not have the technical information for the wire used in the Gauges. Thank's Regards John.
  • johnbowman wrote:
    Hi There
    I have been Looking for information on the old Gauges for a 1934 Hudson LU, but am not having mutch luck. Do you know anyone that could help I am told that the wire is Ni-chrome wire 36 gauge but do not know what the technical details are for the wire. If I could get a book on the King Seele Gauges repair & maintenance with spesifications it would be gerat, It has to be wound on the BI-metal strip which has a sharp edge as per photos & the Insulation must be Heat Resistant. Apparently there are quite a lot of variations in heat with this type of wire.The Gauges are King Seele 6 volt and work by heating the Bi-metal strip Points open and close continually to give the readout at the gauge. Hpoe you can help.
    Regards J B Leech {New Zealand}

Not sure if this is a good source for the wire you seek, but this site is for a compamy whose business is focused on the repair of King Seeley Guages.

Classic and exotic Services
  • Do not think I could do the Bigboys any harm Regards John
  • John,

I used a company that has been in the repair business for many years here in Ohio to do my 36 Terraplane gages. His name is John Wolf and I gave him a call and he said he would be glad to try and help you out. His phone number is 440-942-0083, and e-mail is jwolfco@gmail.com. Good luck.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited April 2011
    I have a complete speedo head with the gauges in it if you need it it is real low millage
  • Hi there I do have a spare But the Gauges are not good I would be interested in
    the one you have. Could you send me a photo & price
  • PAULARGETYPE
    John

email me and i'll send you photos of the dash my email is hethudson1957@aol.com drop the het from the email address it's just there for the spam bugs
    HUDSONLY
    PAUL
  • PAULARGETYPE
    here are the photos of the dash insert
  • John, what would you want for your nofunctional gaugehead?
    Email me at BJHickson@charter.net/// Remove the Backslashes
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Does anyone know what the ohm range is for these 1934 Hudson fuel sending units?  Sounds like 73 to 10 ohms, is that correct?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    This is a bi-metal unit, not resistance.   the rate of open/close duration depends on  the  tension applied to the bi-metal.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    akcoop said:
    Does anyone know what the ohm range is for these 1934 Hudson fuel sending units?  Sounds like 73 to 10 ohms, is that correct?
    Previously posted on another question 

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    On 6V a resistance sender with a range of 150Ω (empty) to 30Ω (full) is a viable substitute for an original sender. The ohm range is derived from the amperages for testing the operation of the fuel gauge that are quoted in the 34 to 39 Mechanical Procedure Manual, those are 40mA (empty) and 200mA (full).

Dakota Digital sell a universal sender with a 34/5 screw pattern and a 180Ω to 10Ω range which can be tweaked to work with the gauge. When testing and tweaking never apply 6V directly the gauge, it will quickly burn out.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=112/mode=prod/prd112.htm
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If anyone has a 1934 or 1935 Hudson speedometer cluster, I would be interested in buying it. I  only need the speedometer don't need the other gauges  and would be happy to split with someone who needs the gauges and not the speedometer.
This discussion has been closed.