Stephen I Fekete

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Stephen I Fekete or István Fekete was a chief engineer at Hudson Motor Car Co and he was responsible for the counterbalanaced crankshaft which made Hudson famous.

Mr Fekete (1883-1956) was born in Hungary and I am trying to find more details on his life.

Now, Fekete is a very common last name in Hungary, but incidentally I found some details on an István Fekete who was born in the same year when Stephen Fekete. He was born in Székesfehérvár, Hungary and received a grant in 1903 which enabled him to studay abroad, first in France then in the USA. He worked for the White steam automobile factory in 1904. It would be really great if I could connect the dots and prove my suspicion that the two Fekete guys were one and the same.
Do you have any ideas where I can find more information on him? I was at the NAHC in Detroit a few years ago and received an obituary from 1956 and a copy from a contemporary Automobile Trade Journal depicting him

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide

Comments

• 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    I am impressed with what you have found. My memory was there was no information after he left Hudson. When you have your research completed, please write an article about SF for the WTN for all of us to enjoy.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010
    I think I can help you with this one. Below is a scan of a Hudson engineering memo sent May 2, 1918 in it you can see he signs his name S.I. Fekete.

I will keep looking and see if I turn up anymore docs. In the engineering docs it does not tell us anything about him only what he was working on. And as you stated he did a lot of work related to the crankshafts plus all other components of the engines.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2010
    Hi
    I talked to DJ Kava about nine years ago, when I found the first bits of info. Now that I am writing an essay on Hungarians who were prominent figures in the American auto industry I am revisiting Fekete's life and career.

UPDATE: I have found a few patents which were signed by Stephen I Fekete. He is not the same Fekete, who worked for the White steamer company. Or he changed his signature completely. I'll scan the two signatures later today. It means I know next to nothing on Fekete's life prior to joining Hudson :(
  • bvward
    bvward Member
    Istvan is the Hungarian form of Stephen... Fekete translates to the colour black.
    I have some contacts in the greater Budapest area, and could ask them to research the National archives if there is an interest.
  • Stephen I. Fekete

1915 - Assistant Chief Engineer 34

1915 - Developed patented features on Super-Six engine

December 28, 1915 - Issued a patent for the Dynamically          Balanced Crankshaft 10

Part of the Essex design team. 55

1917 - A mathematical genius and engineer, developed the       balancing formula for the 1st scientifically-balanced          crankshaft 15

Dec. 1, 1921 - Filed patent for Super-Six piston. 67

March 1922 - Filed patent for Automobile Body and Frame coach    design 67

June 1922 - Filed patent for fan blade bearing Lubricating          System 67

1922 - Owned 1036 Shares of stock 10

1926-27 - HMCC Director 10

1929 - Named Chief Engineer 10

from the Hudson Handbook of Facts

Bob

This discussion has been closed.