I do a lot lot traveling .....

Here are some funny pictures from the road :whistle:

Add yours if you like - please don't post stuff downloaded
off the internet - just pictures you took

Jim ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2012
    Don't say your wife didn't warn ya' .....

• hudsontechhudsontech Posts: 4,606Senior Contributor
    Love that "Ladies - we repair............" sign. LOL

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
    edited October 2010
    Some things just should not share the same space.....:ohmy:

I had to u-turn to get this one in San Diego last year.

• I will try to find a picture I took going out to Cape Cod. Restaurant Sign, ROAD KILL CAFE and the parking lot was full of cars. Margaret said, keep going. Walt.
  • GeoffGeoff Posts: 3,616Senior Contributor
    We've got one here, with a road name saying "River Road", and then a notice under saying "No access to river"
  • Uncle JoshUncle Josh Posts: 2,610Senior Contributor
    edited November 2010

This one came via email I think
  • LanceBLanceB Posts: 687Senior Contributor

Here is one sent to me via email

And one other to start the holidays off.
  • SamJSamJ Posts: 1,391Senior Contributor

I don't think this is a road sign, but...:pinch:
  • BrowniepetersenBrowniepetersen Posts: 3,045Senior Contributor
    If you pop open your Atlas and check out Utah in the center of the state is a city known as Fillmore. Fillmore was once selected to be the Capitol for the State of Utah a few years before Salt Lake City was selected. Today it is a small community about 30 miles North of Beaver, Utah. Yup, you are right... about ten miles North of Fillmore is a state road sign that has two cities listed on it. Fillmore, Beaver.....

I do not admit to sending this post....
    OK Brownie, if we are going to talk about town names I have to tell you about an intersection in Cypress Calif. The two streets are Holder and Ball.

Like you, I do not admit to sending this post...
    We won't mention certain well known (name wise) towns in Pennsylvania. :woohoo:

I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing and I'll stick to that!!!!!1

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL ChiltonRL Chilton Posts: 5,131Administrator, Moderator
    The bear sign just had me rollin'! LOL!!:woohoo:
  • GeoffGeoff Posts: 3,616Senior Contributor
    Haven't got a photo of it, but a forestry block not far from here has a road sign "Firewood gully road", and right underneath it another saying - "Gathering of firewood strictly prohibited".
    Hudson308 wrote:
    Well you didn't specify it had to be a sign, so here ya go. Took this picture last summer in a town about an hour west of Minneapolis.

Don Garlits hauling firewood? :cheer:
    Nice pic Hudson308

Reminds me of something I did growing up on the dairy. Don't make that mistake twice...well you try not to...
    edited May 2012

Took this few days ago along I-90 in Montana

Jim
    Because I said so!
    SamJ wrote:
    Because I said so!

I think Whynot is not far from Minot!!! :whistle:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
    There is nothing close to Minot!!!! Been there, done that--Thank you the United States Air Force and the ICBM....
    There is nothing close to Minot!!!! Been there, done that--Thank you the United States Air Force and the ICBM....

I know that's right, Brownie!!!! I drove U S 12 from Baker to Miles City, MT, one time - about all I saw was a lot of pretty scenery and a whole lot of cows!!

Sign at a gas station in Baker said "Next gas - 86 miles". They weren't kidding.

When my daughter and I went to South Dakota on a father/daughter trip I told her she wasn't in Memphis. She's the type that lets the gas gauge go near empty before filling up. I told her that ain't gonna work out here - and I'm not gonna be the one walking 10 or more miles to a gas station with a gas can in my hand. LOL

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • MikeWAMikeWA Posts: 1,505Senior Contributor
    I used to go to farm auctions a lot, and laughed at the directions to one in eastern Oregon: "Turn off Highway XXX on the road to Paulina- go 100 miles, watch for auction signs." They invited folks to come the day before- bring camping gear or RV, fishing gear and/or varmint rifle, lots to do, big barbecue that evening.

I didn't read about anybody getting killed. . .
  • Lee ODellLee ODell Posts: 2,700Senior Contributor
    Do you remember the Burma Shave signs?

EVERY DAY / WE DO / OR PART / TO MAKE YOUR FACE / A WORK OF ART / BURMA-SHAVE

My wife gave me a paperback of with all 600 of the Burma Shave roadside rhymes from the beginning in 1925 until their removal in 1963.

Titled:
    the verse by the side of the road
    by Frank Rowsome, Jr.

It you like to read a little road side humor, you might like to pick up a copy. There are several copies on ebay, one was less than 80 cents.

Lee O'Dell
    We had one at home;

WE KNOW HOW MUCH/ YOU LOVE THAT GAL/ BUT USE BOTH HANDS/ FOR DRIVING PAL
    I have a set in my shop that I took down one summer that I worked for the State Road Commission back in 1960. It Reads: The Angel/that guards you/when you drive/always Retires/at 55////Burma Shave
  • MikeWAMikeWA Posts: 1,505Senior Contributor
    edited December 2010
    One that we drove by every time we went "to town"-

Night was dark/ car was whizzin'/ fault was hers/ funeral his'n. Burma Shave.
    Spring
    Has sprung
    The grass has riz
    Where last year's
    Careless drivers is
    Burma-Shave

That book, "Verse by the side of the road" is a great book, especially if you grew up riding (with parents) or driving the nations hiways back in the 40's and 50's. Check this out - http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma1.htm

About 5 years or so backI came across a set of signs just east of Alma, Arkansas, on Highway 64 - don't know if they were restored, privately made signs or what.

The ladies
    Take one whiff
    And purr--
    It's no wonder
    Men prefer
    Burma-Shave Lotion

Ah, them were the days.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
    Well, it IS by the side of the road...:lol:

One of these was at the exit from an RV park in WY.
    The 2nd at a couple of museums,
    The 3rd at the gas station/deli up the road.
    Hudson308 wrote:
    Well you didn't specify it had to be a sign, so here ya go. Took this picture last summer in a town about an hour west of Minneapolis.
    This truck put me in mind of our old 35 Ford Flatbed dump. I can remember bringing 17 ft logs uphill out of the woods with Grandpa on one fender and I on the other so Dad could steer bewteen the trees.

The ride to the mill I still remember, what with the light front end and half a turn of play in the steering wheel. Dad was 'busier n'a cranberry merchant'