Better Performance Parts 352 Packard???

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anybody know of some ways to increase horsepower on these 352 packards? I don't know of any parts that are out there to make it a little more powerful. Exhaust, air cleaners, forced induction (which I don't do) are easy, but I was just wondering if there were any parts out there that may fit on this engine to make her a little more mean......? Better intake manifold?

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There were factory (Packard) multiple carb intakes available in the day. From time to time you see them on Packards and '56 Studebaker Golden Hawks. There were also the larger displacement engines available at 374 cu in. available as well. NOt sure of other hi-po parts.
  • ISKY use to regrind camshafts for the Packard v8 and offered heavy duty valve springs, adjustable pushrods and other valve train related parts.

the Caribben Packards used a dual 4bbl intake with either carter carbs or rochester carbs depending on year on both the 352 and the 374.

you might try contacting some of the studebaker guys on the web and see if they could point you to some people with experience with these Packard v8's.

hope this helps

later,

PaceRacer50
  • Dual quad intakes are available, expect to pay upwards of $500 for just the manifold.

Manual trans bellhousings and flywheels are like hen's teeth, expect to pay the same for the set.

If you have a '55 352, put '56 374 valves in it, they're larger. Also, you can safely bore a 352 out to 374.

Headers aren't available, you'll have to make your own. Putting a blower on one really wake's the old girl up:

IM000588.JPG

Of course this, like everything else, has to be made. Cams can be reground, better than the old Isky version ever was. Forget about mechanical cams, no adjustable rockers available for it so it's custom adjustable pushrods, which are longer than almost any other engine.

One MAJOR thing, replace the oil pump with the Olds oil pump conversion I helped develop, Jack Vines in Seattle sells them now. IMHO, you're better off running a Studebaker V8, more parts, cheaper parts, and a hell of a lot more durable. I've got a complete 374 under the bench in the garage I'd trade for a Stude 289.
  • These were all helpful tips.....And Paul, good call on that manifold! AND A TURBO? Hahahaha, that's awesome!
  • It's a supercharger, not a turbo. If I was going to do it all over again I'd put twin turbos on it.
  • Yeah, I see that it's a supercharger...the turbopackman just threw me off. How much psi are you runnin? What kind of car is that on? My father is a drag racer, he may love to see a pic
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    I put a Rochester 4 barrel and manifold from a Packard 400 on mine. Really helped out.

Also you can put dual exhausts on one.
  • Namccarty1 wrote:
    Yeah, I see that it's a supercharger...the turbopackman just threw me off. How much psi are you runnin? What kind of car is that on? My father is a drag racer, he may love to see a pic

That was on my old '56 Patrician that I sold a couple of years ago. It was 6psi max, plenty to move the car with a 320 to 100+ mph. The "Turbopackman" name is because about 10 years ago I was building a twin turbo straight eight, that got sidetracked, and now I'm back to doing it with a '47 356.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I see this Packard powered coupe at a lot of shows in central Fla.

023.jpg
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    LOL thats funny. The Karachi Krusher coupe pic that I posted showed up at

the Turkey Run a couple years ago with the tops from old Chevy "script"

small block covers over the Packard covers. I thought it was sarcasm for

all the small block Chevies running around with Olds Rocket covers...:rolleyes:
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Take a look at this you won't be disappointed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNs-NDN2UM&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_DBUs40yVc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HirKCzrd_ic&feature=channel

This guy Brian does such good work. This car was on the cover of the Feb 2010 Hot Rod magazine. I've never seen so many positive comments on a youtube post either, people are just gobsmacked and very excited at this supercharged straight eight rat rod work of art.
  • Does anybody know the Gear Ratio for the 1956 Hash with a 352 packard/ultramatic transmission? I'm thinkin that would be a pretty nice change.....are there any torque converters someone can suggest?
  • Namccarty1 wrote:
    Does anybody know the Gear Ratio for the 1956 Hash with a 352 packard/ultramatic transmission? I'm thinkin that would be a pretty nice change.....are there any torque converters someone can suggest?

Supposedly, the 1956 Caribbean converter has a higher stall, but that's the ONLY one you'll ever find for it. Good luck on that one. Direct drive with the converter locked up is a direct mechanical connection, the Ultramatic was the first auto trans with a lockup converter. If you have the trans in "H", it runs through the converter and there's no gearing involved. In "D" then you have gearing, not exactly sure what that gearing is though, however.
  • Anybody ever Seafoam a car that's been sitting in a barn for 25years? Looks something like this! My neighbors weren't so happy

But seriously, do you think 4:10s would be an improvement? Will they work?
  • What car is this going in? A '56 Hash?
  • Correct! It's the 56' Hash
  • Well, have fun with changing out the enclosed driveline, those are a PITA to work on. If you want, and what I'd do, is replace the enclosed driveline with a more modern varient. You can easily swap out the tailshaft of the Ultramatic with one from a Packard, which doesn't have the enclosed driveshaft.
This discussion has been closed.