Fuel Feed Problem

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
This problem could appear in just about any car that has the fuel pickup entering the tank from the top..

My stepdown has had a starting problem for a while. After sitting for 24 hours I had to crank and crank to get fuel up to the carbs. An inspection of the lines back to the fuel pump looked perfect. Also the fuel pump is new. I was going to take a 200 mile weekend trip to a meet in central Fl, so just scabbed in an electric pump at the tank, hooked up a push button switch to help prime the system. Just in case the engine driven pump was going south. It didn't help the starting problem... Upon returning from our uneventful trip, I filled the tank ,then noticed a fuel leak at the pickup entry to the tank. I waited until the leak dryed up (all week) .Today I removed the tube to reseal it. I found a pin hole INSIDE the tank at the top of the pickup tube!That allowed the fuel to drain back into the tank..drop by drop.. I made a new copper tube and sweated it on, both problems fixed. The original pickup tube was steel and since condensation can and WILL form in the top area of the tank, rust can take it's toll. I hope this helps someone fix a pesky problem. :)
This discussion has been closed.