Grapes Of Wrath Hudson

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
HI,I AM GARY WALES OF WOODLAND HILLS CALIFORNIA ,I DISCOVERED THE ORIGINAL 26 HUDSON (with original engine) that was used in DARRYL F ZANUCKS PRODUCTION OF THE MOVIE "GRAPES OF WRATH"

IN 1940. BEING A BENTLEY AND ROLLS ROYCE RESTORIER AND WITH A SMATTERING OF BUILDING SPECIALS OUT OF CHAIN DRIVE AMERICAN LA FRANCE FIRETRUCKS OF THE TEENS,I NEEDED TO GET UP TO SPEED ON HUDSONS.I NOW KNOW THAT THE ALLOY BODY I HAD ORIGINALLY THOUGHT WAS A SPECIAL TURNED OUT TO BE BUILT BY BIDDLE & SMART.

HERE IS A LINK FOR YOU TUBE WHICH WILL TRY TO EXPLAIN WHY THIS VERY FAMOUS AND HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT CAR WAS MADE INTO A PERIOD RACER .http://www.youtube.com/user/CustomCarVideos

ALSO YOU CAN CHECK ME OUT ON MY WEB SITE (WWW.EBENTLEY.COM).

THE COMPLETED CAR WILL BE INTRODUCED IN MONTEREY CALIFORNIA THIS AUGUST (HOME OF JOHN STEINBECK) THE ORIGINAL BODY HAD BEEN CUT JUST BEHIND THE FRONT DOORS AND REPLACED WITH A TRUCK BODY FOR THE MOVIE,AT PRODUCTIONS END THE TRUCK BODY WAS REMOVED AND THE ORIGINAL BIDDLE & SMART REMAINS WERE BOLTED TO THE CHASSIS.IT WAS THEN PUT INTO STORAGE BY THE OWNER (DO NOT KNOW HOW HE ACQUIRED IT ,POSSIBLE GIVEN TO HIM AT MOVIES END) IT WAS MOVED AROUND ORANGE COUNTY CALIFORNIA BY VARIOUS OWNERS WHO FULLY INTENDED TO RESTORE IT BUT NEVER QUITE GOT AROUND TO IT.

I DESCOVERED IT AFTER 69 YEARS STORAGE , AND DO TO ITS VERY ADVANCED STAGES OF DETERIORATION (WOOD ROT BUT NO RUST ) I DECIDED TO RESTORE IT BUT AS SOMETHING THAT WOULD GIVE PLEASURE AND YET STILL RETAIN MOST OF ITS ORIGINAL PARTS AND BODYWORK.

I KNOW, MANY PEOPLE FEEL IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT BACK AS IT ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN THE MOVIE BUT I DECIDED THE COST WOULD HAVE BEEN PROHABITIVE AND SINCE I AM NOT INTO UGLY TRUCK LIKE VEHICILES,THE QUESTON WAS,WHAT COULD BE DONE WITH IT IN ITS PRESENT CONDITION?,I DECIDED TO MAKE IT INTO ITS ALTER EGO (PERIOD RACE CAR .IT STILL SPORTS ITS ORIGINAL LICENCE PLATE NUMBERS AND EVEN THE DOOR SKINS ARE MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL BIDDLE & SMART PANELS AS ARE ALL FITMENTS,HINGES,LOCKS AND ANY OTHER ORIGINAL PARTS THAT COULD BE SAVED.

I MUST SAY THE HUDSON IS ONE VERY FINE AND WELL BUILT AUTOMOBILE AND HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME ,I AM VERY HONORED THAT IT FELL TO ME TO BRING THIS VERY HISTORIC AND WONDERFUL PIECE OF MOVIE HISTORY BACK TO THE LIGHT OF DAY WHERE IT CAN ONCE AGAIN CRUSE THE ROADS OF AMERICIA .I CAN BE REACHED AT( GLWALES@EARTHLINK.NET)

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Mr. Wales-

Very interesting post. You mentioned that you were a Rolls-Royce and Bentley restorer. You might find it interesting that in the early days, RR and Hudson shared R & D information, although tests were carried independently of one another. I've been told, but have not confirmed that one of the main players at Hudson, and it might have been Roy D. Chapin, was friends with some of the leaders of RR. Some similarities can be found between the two Co's.

As far as your choice of path on the "GofW" vehicle, I believe you have made a most logical choice, and of course, the choice is entirely yours. I think it most admirable that you have procured the vehicle and restored it. There has been some talk of the truck before on the forum here and use of the "Search" button will probably bring up past threads, if you are interested.

As far as construction of HET automobiles, you won't find any argument about quality of construction amongst Hudnuts, I guarantee you. Most of us are so passionate about the marque, it is as with a passing and brief wave of the hand to so much as acknowledge another brand. Hudson Automobiles were over-engineered, to say the least. I'm sure you could build one Nash out of two Hudsons, no problem, but then again, I am aware that I am somewhat biased.

So glad you have posted and given recent insight on your "find". I look forward to checking out your sites. Welcome to the Hudson Board!!
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013

Thank you very much.

Gary
  • I watched the movie last night. Have you ever noticed that by the end of the show, the engine is knocking loudly. I wonder if they put that in the sound track or if it really was.
  • Richard E.
    Richard E. Senior Contributor
    Scott,

That was probably due to the fact that in the book, they replaced the rod bearing with strips of leather belt. That may have worked for awhile, but I doubt that leather holds up as well as babbit.

I haven't seen the movie in ages, I also read the book when in high school, but I saw the exellent American Masters series on Woody Guthrie during July and was reminded that he reduced the very massive book and movie to a 12 stanza folk song, under contract to the Library of Congress, after watching the movie. Steinbeck even commented on the thoroughness of the Guthrie treatment at the time.
This discussion has been closed.