'54 Convert on ebay

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited June 2017 in HUDSON
This car has been on ebay for quite some time.  It started out at over $100K some months ago and has slowly been sliding down.  However, it does now seem odd the seller is going for a no-reserve price?  Wonder if this is legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162557955228?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The link leads us to a Facebook account for a car show in Delaware.
  • 50C8DAN
    sorry fixed!
  • I don't have the heart to tell 'im that his Hornet emblems are on backwards...
  • I don't have the heart to tell 'im that his Hornet emblems are on backwards...
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I didn't notice that usually I tell quite a few 54 Hornet owners about this.I have know idea why they install them backwards preference I guess.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • Yes, Ray... you told me about it!  I had no idea, nor did my uncle, apparently.  I gave you credit in my video! :)
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    One of the first things I did when I got my 54 - was flipping the Hornet badges.  For having a 50/50 chance of getting them right, a lot sure end up wrong.  
    For this car, the original asking price is up there considering what Russ's 54 got at auction earlier this year.  The 54's don't seem to reach the same figures as the 51 - 53's do.  There certainly seem to be more of the 54's.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    There is pretty solid  information supporting the quantity of 54 convertibles @ ~ 220 vehicles. check with Dave Sollen he has the reins for the HET registry for 54 Converts.  My unasked for opinion on Russ's auctioned 54 is the wrong crowd at wrong auction. That car was Top of Line and the car on eBay is not near the quality.  
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Did anyone else notice that it has what appears to be S/S fender skirts?   Never saw them on a 1954 Hudson before.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Beautiful car If I only had a million dollars as the song goes This conv. would keep our Hollywood company.. Hudsonly  Ray
  • 50C8DAN
    Say what you will this is a darn nice car.  He provides a lot of details and great pics.  
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I like the SS fender skirts.  Would not be a bad addition to any 54.

• Are those SS side skirts custom?

I just noticed he said this car had a "frame off" restoration...  Is that possible in a "mono-bilt" stepdown? :)
  • Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
    He is not the first person to claim a frame off restoration on a step down. 
  • Getting the frame off is the easy part, I'd imagine... it's putting it back together that's a bear... ;)
  • This '54 convertible ended up selling for just north of $50,000.  Well bought!
  • Back on ebay due to a no sale.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Out of curiousity, are there any traits on the outside to identify the engine as being a 7X?  The seller is stating that it is, but how would you know?  I guess if he had receipts or a statement from the prior owner who had the work done, but that's not stated.  It's been stated in other threads that 7X engines didn't have a block number.  

Also that he's provided the casting number of 304539 which is a 51-53 block and not a 54 (which is casting 310111, yes?).  I suppose if the engine was ordered after or at purchase, the dealer could have used a prior year block.

The car is listed in the club directory when searching by vin number, but I'm not savvy enough to pull up the listed owner by the search.

It's currently at $35k with less than 3 days to go.  A good buy for someone in the market regardless.