1954 hornet getting back brake drum off????

have a 3 bolt puller tighten lugs up and used air gun and not coming off put a little heat on it also ??? may have to cut it off and get a another drum  but where ??? what  size and where for lugs nuts also looks like i am pull threads on those also !! 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Patience!   Just keep tightening the puller and it will eventually come loose
  • how much heat before to much ???
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Leave heat until nothing else works! Did you back off the shoes to assure they are not hung up on a grove in the drum? 
    Make sure the lug bolts are all the way in the drum.  Nut on the axle to assure assembly does not fly off.  
    Use my signature block to go to my website.  Procedure to get drum off shown there... select brakes to get to page.
  • yes back off shoes .  may have to get longer studs also to get more to catch ?/thanks 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You have left the axle nut on, right?  (To protect yourself if the drum decides to let go suddenly.)

Try tapping the perimeter of the drum with a hammer, all the way around, every so often.  It sets up a vibration which (along with the constant tension of the puller) my help to bust it loose.
  • Are you hitting the end of the puller with a heavy hammer after putting tension on the puller?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    NEVER HIT THE END OF THE PULLER WITH ANYTHING!  The dog bone is the only piece that should be struck with a 3 LB hammer.
  • (it is off )cherry red and nothing pulled the threads out of puller! got another puller pulled 2 lug bolt right out  got drill with uni bit and and grinder and 2 1/2 hrs later it is off !!! drilled above the key way and 1" or so over down to axle  ((Thanks )) put another rear end in next before i would go thru all this stupid shit again   BEER time I am done for  tonight 
  • Maybe that is where i am going wrong i was useing a air gun ?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just curious.  This is the normal way to pull Hudson drums.  How would you have used an air gun?

• where the dog is i have a center bolt and ran it in with air gun take dog part off and use socket 
  • what is the  torque on the nut suppose to be ?  

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2017
    You need a heavy duty one like this one:

They're available on the internet, in tool stores, at yard sales and flea markets, sometimes you can rent them at rental places. 

The use of a hammer (on the H.D. ones) also sends a shock through the system, that an air gun just won't do, and helps bust the drum loose. 

Anyway, you got your drum off, that's the important thing.

Here's an illustrated how-to, on removing a drum, posted at the Hudson homepage photo gallery by Paul Schuster.  I don't know if you will be able to view it (since access to the homepage is only by registered members) but here is a try:  http://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_simgallery&view=album&aid=26&Itemid=656

The puller that you illustrated, is meant for modern drums that are fairly easy to remove.  I owned one and tried it; it was way too light-duty, and woefully inadequate:

• it worked the other day took both off and put back on and then wanted to put new brake cyc on . Started on the  passenger side pop off and then my life changed on drivers side  
  • I imagine I will eventually be in the market for one of these hub pullers.  Will any of them work for a '54 Hornet?  I think it has the straight hubs versus the tapered hubs of the previous years.  Are they pretty much universal, as they advertise?
  • (54)mine is tapered
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

it's the bearing that's not tapered on the Dana rear ends

• i just pulled the drum for changing the brake cyc (i have dana yes)