4009 distributors and Pertronix

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Does it matter if the the distributor is a 4009A as opposed to a 4009B as far as installing a Pertronix unit is concerned? I have both and the only difference I can see is that the firing orders are 180 degrees apart.  

Comments

• 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited April 2017
    I thought the only difference was the vacuum and centrifugal advance.  The ignitor should work in both just the same.  You'll have to modify the points plate in either instance however.  Even though it says 'no modification necessary.'
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The offset at bottom of the distributor is reversed.  What modifications will I need to make to the points plate?  I installed the Pertronix in the 48 and didn't have to make any modifications that I can recall.  
  • Jason, hope you are going to Lances on the 22nd. Scott & I will be there.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I think my wife has plans for me that weekend, but I'm not sure.  If she doesn't, I will try to make it.  
  • When I installed it on my plate I had to remove the tab that is riveted to the plate.

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I may have had to do that also, but I don't remember for sure.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Richard, I was looking for to seeing you guys Saturday, but a good friend of my wife and I died and her funeral is Saturday at 11:00.  
  • Sorry to hear that Jason, my condolences.  We'll catch you some other time.  By the way....if you find that you need to modify your plate, don't.  I'll swap you my modified plate for your stock one if you'd like. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Fair enough.  I'll be glad to trade with you.  What's your schedule?  I'm retired and a trip to Mooresville (or vice versa if you want to compare projects) is no problem at all.