Intro

Hi hudsons
Picking up a barn find 1919 essex a on friday. I am new to car restoration

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome, Craig.  You've come to the right place!  We've got forum members from all over the world who are pretty knowledgeable in Hudsons and Essexes, so give us your questions and we'll try our best to answer 'em!  By the way, what part of the world are you from?  Maybe you're near someone with another 4-cylinder Essex who can offer you come firsthand advice.
  • Hi Jon
    I live in penn yan, ny
  • Please post pictures of the car when you are able!  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Craig, the last I heard, the Old Spokes Museum outside of Allentown, Pa., had a 1919 Essex.  http://www.oldspokes.com/visitor.html   That's four hours away from you, but if you have technical questions you could get in contact with Bernie Thompson who maintains the museum and cars on behalf of the owner, Dr. Robert Blake. 

But to begin with, just ask your questions here, we may be able to help, and possibly someone will step forward who owns an Essex of your era, and who also lives near you!
  • Val
    Val Member
    Hi Craig and welcome to the HET family. You will find this forum to be most helpful when ever you have questions.
  • 48rob
    48rob Member
    I sure would like to see it...Welcome!
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    edited April 2017
    CraigHohm said:
    Hi Jon
    I live in penn yan, ny
    Are you a member of the National club. Living in Penn Yan  puts you in the Western New York Chapter region. We would be honored if you would care to join our chapter and attend some of our meets. If you would like more info contact me at 585 654 9450 or email me at jimreen@frontiernet.net.  I am the secretary of our chapter, looking forward to speaking with you.  I live in Rochester
  • Hi again.
     Car is home
  • Here's a question: wondering if this is worth buying or does the club have similar documents?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/162173690241?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    This does not cover the 4 cylinder engine but i would expect other systems would be similar
  • that would make a cool ratrod.
    please save it from restoration. 
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    1921 thru 1923 would only have been 4 cylinders.  Yu might contact Faxon Auto Literature, as they have reprints of most of the Hudson/Essex manuals.  All Essex 4's of 1919 thru1923 were 4 cylinders
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Nice little car.  I have a 1922 coach which is the enclosed version of what you have ...... sort of.  I have the manual you are asking about and it is somewhat useful.  It has info on the trans and the brakes which is about all you need on that car.  The electrical is very simple wires running from one point to another with very few fuses.   First thing I changed is add more fuses.  I do find that the generic motor can manuals of the time (1919 or 1920) will have more information on how things work but they will not be specific to Essex.  Looks like a fun project and the 4 is a good motor just be sure you keep everything full of oil.  Splashers like oil. Oh, and make sure there is oil in the clutch.

Jay

• The 19 in our club is very similar to yours even the color. The owner has passed away now but he would sit on 60-70 all day long with no trouble at all. Can picture he and his wife in the rear view rugged up and red faces keeping up with all the stepdowns. Great car and engine. Congratulations. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Alas!, our club on-line library does not seem to have a 1919 Essex shop manual.  The essential operation of the engine would be similar to the operation of many 4-cylinder engines of the period.  The 1919 owner's manual IS among the downloadable documents, though.  You may want to look into registering at the Club's website in order to download.  Club members have access to all portions of the site, but there is a "limited membership" open to the public, though I don't know if it includes the ability to download stuff.  Here's the Club website: http://www.hetclub.org/
  • Hi Craig - view the website www.hudsonterraplane.com - this chap has collected everything manual wise and free to download cheers Ken 
  • Thanks Ken
    Some geat material on the website you suggested.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Since you are new to the auto restoration hobby. The only advice I would offer, is..
     Don't just disassemble it thinking you will restore it piece by piece! Tinker with it and try to get it running. learn what "Makes it tick". So many cars have been taken apart and never re-assembled by the person that took it apart.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Great advice, Dave!
  • Thanks Dave. That is my plan. My friends like the beverly hillbillies patina
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2017
    Craig, the AACA has a car show class called H.P.O.F.*, in which they encourage people to show their "barn find" cars, so you might want to keep the Beverly Hillbillies look.  The reasoning is: if you completely restore a car, it really isn't the same car that it was when it left the factory.  However, a "patina" car is like a time capsule in that it may not have changed that much since it was built.  In fact, the bolts that hold the car together, may last have been turned by the Hudson factory worker on the assembly line in 1919.  There is a value in that.

*-- "historic preservation original features" -- here's a discussion at the AACA forum: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/85337-hpof-driver-participation-class/