OD transmission markings

Val
Val Member
edited March 2017 in HUDSON
I bought an OD Trans for my car at the suggestion of the good doctor and was wondering how to decode the markings on it. are they set to any certain type of car?

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Er...what markings?
  • Val
    Val Member
    Well on the bell housing it has 800013 2  and 4350 cast on the rear face of the bell housing. looking forward on the right side it shows R10D-1A  W.G D V  and towards the front it is cast 301 839 IDEAL 3 10 50
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Dunno, but there are 2 different bell housings for the big six.  The single lever type bolts to the tranny with 6 bolts from the inside of the housing, and the double lever type, bolts to the tranny with 4 bolts from outside.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Uncle Josh It is a single over drive transmission I have to wonder if it isn't a 1950 model as the " 3 10 50"  seems to be in date format. If so I cant decipher a 1950 what? I asked the person I bought it from but he isn't sure other than that is  48-51 year model. I just would like to know because if I ever have to do anything to it I know what it is I have.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    As you guessed, 3 10 50  is the casting date.   Ideal is the foundry,  externally the 48-51 are all the same. and will fit all four years.  There may be some internal ratio differences
    if used with drive master/Supermatic.  Is much different than your 39.  Not sure it could be adapted without much modification .  

"Ric" 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Ric, Thank you so much for the date confirmation as well as the foundry info.  I bought the one that DR Doug told me to get and he will make the modification so that it fits. He will have to use my existing bell housing and shorten my drive shaft. I guess there is no way to know what cars they were in?    
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    That will work!  So much nicer on the highway with the overdrive!
  • Val
    Val Member
    That's what he said that it would give me the ability to drive the freeway without getting run over. Although I wont do much freeway driving with the car. I will drive it home from his place and don't want to do it at 45 mph the whole way  
  • allan
    allan Member
    Val, I have one of those transmission in my '38.  There are some mods, but nothing too horrible - Doug can handle them.  I drive my '38 65 and 70 mph all the time with a 4:11 rear ratio.  Love it, and have a ball doing it!
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the info allan I look forward to driving her home