262 with Unilite distributor?

I'm converting from 6 to 12 volt and would like to change to electronic ignition.
I have heard that guys are installing Mallory Unilite distributors, but I don't know which one.
Has anyone done this and could you tell me the part number and any extra adaptation you had to do.
Thank you

Comments

• My preference is to upgrade but to use factory parts and not aftermarket pieces, just in case something goes bad you can find the part locally and not have to leave the car set till the mail delivers your special order part.

I use the Mopar 225 6 distr with the magnetic pickup and use it to trigger the GM 4 pin HEI ignition module when someone runs a carb.

For EFI I use it to trigger the GM 8 pin ignition module.

For the distr you can either convert the original or swap the original shaft into the dodge distr housing.

I think I showed the basics in my EFI thread.

Here's a little video I did showing how it works. This is on an IH distr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWsDg_ZpR6U

imageimage
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited March 2015
    FYI
    Electronic is the way to go..Ive installed Crane XR700 Point Conversion Kits in the Hudson Distributor and really like them.The tiny Photo Cell fits where the Points went and you discard the Condenser. The 'Reluctor with 6 slots' fits right under the Rotor. Ive also adapted 6 Cyl GM HEI Distributor by switching the Shaft with a Hudson Distributor. I believe Ron Fellows, the Clutch Man in the Club sells the complete GM 6 HEI Distributor,. So now you have a few choices.....
  • Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    Has any of you tried adding a multi strike system in addition to the electronic trigger upgrade?
This discussion has been closed.