Russell's Convertible Status!

Comments

• MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    What an accomplishment! That's a beautiful car.

I have to admit I had the same thoughts as Alex when you started. I wonder how many guys take on a project that complicated, and ever finish it? Congratulations on your hard work and perseverance.

By the way, is it just my imagination, or is that beard just a tad bit grayer now? Just a coincidence, I suppose, and not related to the project. . .
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Mike, I had the same thought about the goat-tee (beard, whatever). I can, off the top of my head think of only 3 or 4 other restorations that started out like Russells - There's Stig Invarssons beautiful '41 Hudson 8 Convertible, I think the '37 Hudson Brougham Gus Sousa restored was another. Going back over the years there are probably a lot of them that started out in that condition.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Know the fun part starts.....every thing is a finished product and a labor of love now..... very impressed with your organization of clean assembly an attention to fine details.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Rodney, you're close enough, you can come help, if you want to!
  • RL Chilton
    edited January 2014
    Oh, and Mike: it's not a figment of your imagination, it is grayer. This project has aged me about 15 years. But, you know what they say, it's not the years, it's the mileage!

And Alex, it's a Van Dyke. In the old days (I'm surprised you don't remember), all beard styles had a name. I generally wear a full one in the winter and a Van Dyke when it's warmer. For the record, a "goatee" is whiskers on just your chin. And thanks for putting me in such good company, but I'm just the caretaker. The HMCC is the one with the real talent. I'm just trying to do them justice.
  • Very nice Russell. Looks like you are quite a bit ahead of me at this point.
  • RL Chilton
    Oh, Dave, I sure hope you plan on making it to French Lick. That would be a real treat!
  • Yes, I could give you a hand for a day or two. Perhaps when you have a full day to devote to the work and need that extra hand for engine stabbing, or what ever you need done? We can talk about it at the meeting?
  • hudsontech
    Ok van dyke it is. But then what do I know.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    As nice as it will be, I would be tempted to run it across the Barrett-Jackson or Pebble Beach auction (with a high reserve) Imagine the sellers remorse and crying all the way to the bank. Ha! :)>-
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Russell, I saw the car on a trip up to Idaho when a few local members of the HET went up to get a 49 coupe that was also for sale. We (Me, Glen Johnson) had a long discussion as to if it was too far gone to bring back. I must say that I did not see the vision. You are doing a great job with it.
  • Lordy, that's a beautiful car.
    Keith
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    WOW! what a bunch of GREAT work. You have sure pulled off a miracle.... I can't believe how well you have done. One thing I noticed was you have a bit more gray in your beard, I know it isn't age, it must be the effects of all the hard work you've done. Wear the gray with pride young man, you deserve it.

Lew
  • RL Chilton
    Testing the new "add a file" feature:

• RL Chilton
    That's great!  I love this feature.  Maybe we can get more folks to post pics.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing the picture... Great looking "teaser"
  • RL Chilton
    edited March 2014
    It's been nearly 50 years since the top has been closed on this car, but tonight that changed:

imageimage
  • RL Chilton
    I have to add that of all the top mechanisms I have seen, the Hudson Step-Down Top assembly has to be one of the finest and most beautiful.  The quality and attention to detail that the Hudson engineers put into the project is simply . . .  astounding.  

It never ceases to amaze me the quality, the beauty, the engineering of these fine automobiles.  What a testament to Hudson that we have and continue to save so many classy examples of a bygone era.  
  • I think restoring old cars is the closest thing we can get to time travel.
  • RL Chilton
    I think restoring old cars is the closest thing we can get to time travel.
    I like that.  
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Looking good Russell!
  • Hi Russ, Great job you are doing! I can't wait to see the car in French Lick. I have a question in regards to the picture showing the "1st closing" taken from the rear forward. On the right side of the car you have the rag hanging there. Behind the rag in the picture is that piece of tin with 3 round holes and a larger hole. My question is I have the left side in my pile of parts but I don't have the right one. What is that piece for or what does it do?

My other question is....what brand and color of silver did you use on your car?

Thanks! Bill

• trying larger picture larger picture
  • RL Chilton
    Bill-

It is a skeleton that holds the top trim piece, which is stainless.  This stainless piece has the cat-whiskers attached to it to help seal up the windows.  On a convertible without power windows, this skeleton piece also holds the regulator.

As far as color, I had an original rear view mirror that I used as a color sample for the rockers and the convertible top mechanism.  Later on I learned that the color on the back of the mirrors did not match the factory color of the top stack.  Bill Albright was fond of using "Dove Grey", which in my opinion looked like someone threw up a gray color.  The color I ended up using is almost identical to Argent Silver, a Ford color.  
    IMO, even though it's not "factory correct", it looks quite handsome and is quite a bit richer.  "Dennis in NY", who used to be on this forum and restored a top notch '49 C8 'vert, used a very similar color.

Hope this helps.  If you need a better picture, let me know.  
  • hudsontech
    Russell, after 40 years + of research I can tell you nobody alive today, except maybeWalt Mordenti, knows what is "factory correct".  And back-in-the-day I don't think that half the time the factory knew what was "factory correct."

Serial numbers are a great example - I can show you (and it's probably buried in that stuff I gave you) various Hudson publications that list different serial numbers for the same years.   If it were me I'd not worry about - just sit back and enjoy it.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    No worries, Alex.  Trust me.  I'm very pleased with my choice.  My feelings toward this car just doesn't get any better.  No brag, just fact.  
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Wow! Beautiful car Russell
  • I just had to buy a new laptop due to the wife and I drooling while looking at the latest pics!

;)
  • hudsontech
    Bill, I saw that car in the 1st stages of restoration.  I knew it was possisble to do what he's doing - I've seen two others in that condition that were brought back - a '41 convertible and a '37 convertible. It's unbelievable what Russell has accomplished.  I know he's put in bookoo hours and cash getting it this far.  It will be at the French Lick Springs national this summer - if he has to put in 24/7 to get 'er done.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN 
  • RL Chilton
    Thank you, Bill, that's very kind.  I took some new pics this morning.  It looks as though on the transfer of our "new" forum, none of the previous pics carried over, so here's some current ones:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.