Mini-Starter

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
FYI

Been working on converting a tiny (nepedenso style) Mopar starter to my Hornet primarily to reduce weight & 12V. Some have already converted race starters sucessfully but I thought would try something else.

I cut off the 3 bolt mount then made a 1/4" flange to slide tightly over & around starter squaring from edge of front cover. I secured flange with longer bolts from the motor & solonoid. I also sawed off a 'short nose extension' in front of gear because didnt contain bushing or support the shaft. (Seen similar starter on Ebay with nose sawed off cranking a 511" stroked Hemi)

I inserted the starter (with new flange) into the block motor plate, (being small O.D. unit) I was able to move around slightly to measure best gear depth & backlash, then drilled the necessary two 7/16" mount holes in the new flange.

The 10 pitch pinion gear extends into the Hudson ring gear the same depth as in the Mopar (per indent marks on the gear). However Hudson pinion would extend little further. Working with Auto flwheel but just glancing, Std appears similar.

Still little work in progress but it engages nicely & spins the motor fast even without bell housing.(Just bolts in the Plate) ..Being winter storage havent tried in car to actually start/run to ck disengagement, but have no reason to think would be problem..TBD.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Mini starter Picture; (practicing loading Pictures)

Mini-Starter engages nicely & spins motor on floor. Only weighs 10lbs...Think next one I will weld an aluminum adapter onto housing rather than bolting & be lighter yet. Havent started & ran yet but optimistic will disengage fine. $20 invested so far...plus my initial time calculating, centering, depth, etc...Made pattern to simplyfy next one..
  • Ol racer
    FYI

If any Interest I can email or Post Template..
  • bigboy308
    bigboy308 Expert Adviser
    I would like a template--either post here or PM me my information. Looks like another case of HUDSON-inspired ingenuity!! THANX!
  • A template please and any other information, notes, etc. would be appreciated. PM me or send to HETcanus@bellsouth.net. (Drop the HET) Thanks!!
  • Ol' Racer,

Thanks for sharing all these projects of yours with us. I have a lot to learn but it sure helps to see your engineering and fabrication solutions. Keep 'em coming!

Tom
  • Ol racer
    FYI

Thanks for your interest. The attached Template is what I will use for next starter. It will get you close but as tracing may need some fit & filing. I have two sets of holes for my application. Not sure if want starter at 9:00 or 11:00. The Mini gear reduction Starter is from a 1988 - '98 Mopar 6 & 8 cyl that I located in a Wrecking Yard for $20. A Mopar friend told me they are 10Pitch Gear same as Hudson.

The starter is a 'small Replacement Style' for the Factory starter in the late '80's & more commonly found in the '90's. There are larger Mopar Starters too so take a copy of Pic ...

I sawed off the original mounting bracket then bolted a 3/16 steel plate (Adapter) to starter using 2 longer motor bolts & longer solonoid screws just to see if the Idea would work. To ensure adaptor plate was sq I measured from the edge of front cover to adaptor plate then double checked with protractor on pinion shaft to adaptor. Measurement from cover is 4 13/16". Next starter I will go to 4 3/4" for more depth

I sawed off the extension housing surrounding the gear because served no purppose and enables 'clocking' the starter to clear steering box etc.

The starter gear engages into Hudson ring gear the same distance as did in Mopar judging from the 'marks' on gear teeth. However it could go back another 3/16" into ring gear by trimming the starter housing more. I am satisfied as is.

The next adaptor I will simply use an Aluminum Plate, remove the nose cone, fit, then weld to housing. I left a'dowel pin' protruding from the starter face to help prevent the bracket from ever rotating & help support the 4 bolts

I also drilled & tapped the adaptor for a tiny 'set screw' at the bottom for overkill

Note:1) Because I used longer solonoid Screws I had to file two 'small spots' on the Hudson motor Plate starter hole for clearance. (If weld adapter, starter will go right into existing hole)

2) I also used two Hudson starter bolts to hold the adaptor by counter sinking the bevel heads. Welding would eliminate the need.

3) Starter can be dissembled for future rebuild with the adapter bolted or welded.

Before begining project please understand that I have not started a motor to check disengagement yet. However, should not be a problem with engagement & rotating working satisfactorily..
  • Ol racer
    FYI

Hope I didnt make this sound difficult by detailing....

-Basically just a vertical & horizontal cut removes small orig. bracket

-Cut pc steel or aluminum plate, measure for straightness, bolt or weld to starter

-Insert starter into motor plate mark drill holes and/or use template

Note:

Template enlarged on Screen. Actual only measures 6"W X 6 3/8"L
  • Walt's Garage here; In 2003 I had a bright idea, why not fit a high torque gear reduction starter to my Hornet. I started with a 302 Ford unit, set up a block with a crank, rear motor plate, automatic flywheel and a bell housing. Got my machinest friend and started work. 3 months later it was put in my 53 hornet and has made 4 cross country trips and 49,000 miles. Everybody that sees my starter want to know what is it. You must have a 9 tooth and a 10 pitch pinion drive to work with the Hudson flywheel, standard or automatic. My machinest friend has since passed away and he had all the prints which I'm trying to get back.
  • Ol racer
    Walt,

I seen the nice mini-starter that you installed on your Hudson Hornet. You actually provided the information that inspired me to try a mopar starter after learning the Hudson pitch was identical.

Thank You
This discussion has been closed.