Hostetler Collection

oldcarnut
oldcarnut Expert Adviser
Heard on the local news this morning that the town of Shipshewana is planning to auction the Hostetler Hudson Collection as the museum does not take in enough to support it.

Chuck

Comments

• oldcarnut
    oldcarnut Expert Adviser
    Now they are saying the town board has postponed any action for a month to see if they can come up with an alternative. This is from WSBT-TV

Chuck
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited June 2017
    One little but important detail ... As I recall those cars are all part of a 501(c)3 donation, and thus can not be sold to just anyone.  All together or piecemeal, they have to go to another 501(c)3 entity.  Can someone confirm this?
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    In a way,automotive museums have often left me a bit cold. Cars are dynamic and active objects meant to be in motion, while mueum displays are static.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited June 2017
    I hear ya Peter.  I'm swapping the 36 Terraplane radiator this week.  BTW, Jon is around next week, so if you're here also, I'm planning a jaunt.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    Yes, I say this as the owner of a Hudson that is neither very dynamic nor in a museum. But hopefully this is changing! Will give you a call. Arrived yesterday via Lake Placid!
  • My '29 H isn't too pretty but it goes and we use it.  But if it weren't for the Hostetler folk I probably would not have been able to get the dimensions I need to make a replica of the Biddle & Smart trunk on their magnificent '29 Club Sedan.   That's the sort of thing that museums are good for.