hydra matic shifts

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I found out that the throttle rods and bell crank were out of adjustment. So I followed the instructions and did that adjustment Then to find out that the tv rod that goes to trans the nuts had about one inch of play each direction. So I pushed the tv rod gently towards the back of car then brought the top nut up and tightened the bottom nut.Now the real question I need to know when I have the tv rod is in the exact adjustment.  Hudsonly  Ray

Comments

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Go to the club site online literature and look up the hydramatic service manual.  It outlines how to preset this rod length then adjust it according to shift points in MPH.  Most important thing is not to start with it too long so that you strip the lever on the shaft in the transmission-  bad times after that.  The presetting will get you close, but the final adjustment requires driving
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Attached are the instructions for a 54 hydramatic, from the online literature.  MAY be readable if you enlargeimage
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the info
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I found out why my trans was not shifting properly. The carb rods and bell crank needed to be readjusted . Done that and also found the block that hooks to bell crank that moves the kick down rod the nuts on either side of block were backed off at least 1/2 inch. Ray