1950 Fog Lights/Headlight Help

Rex
Rex Member
Dear Members,

I have recently purchased a 1950 Commodore 8 which is equipped with fog lights.  Can anyone tell me how the fog light circuit is tied into the headlight circuit?  Presently the headlights will not come on unless the fog light switch is turned off, then when I try to go to high beams, the lights are very dim.  I cannot find any information in the shop manuals or my owner's manual about fog lights and am trying to solve this problem so I can happily drive the car after dark!  Thanks for any help!  Rex

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The fog lights should be set up so that they extinguish when the high beam foot switch selects high beam lights. The lamp dining indicates a high resistance to the headlight circuit.  Check all wiring and switches for proper operation.
  • ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    Normally you'd never drive with headlights and fog lights on - headlight lumate the fog at eye level and blinds you whilst if you just use the fog light it's designed to lumate the road under the fog to give you a few feet of driving hopefully  - some thought a yellow lens gave a better non bounce back of light - the wiring should be like the horn relay but using a relay designed for long turn on periods unlike the horn relay which would burn out - if the fog lights are too dim they may be wired incorrectly - it should be wired direct to the battery using a relay to handle the load - a dash switch should act like the horn button to only activate the relay - not carry the load to the lights  - have a auto electrican check it out and make it right - it's cheaper than mucking around with a car that might have been tampered with by a previous owner jerry fixing a solution - cheers Ken 
  • Rex
    Rex Member
    Thank you for the help.  If anyone has access to a wiring diagram that shows the fog light circuit, that would be most helpful.  Of course, we can trace this down ourselves, but I hate to disturb any old wires that I do not have to.  Everything looks very nice under the dash in terms of wiring. 
  • Think you just need to sell them to me and be done with it !!!!! I am serious; need more lights.  I only have about 1,100 on the car {and that is not a typo}.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    From the Internet image
  • Rex
    Rex Member
    thanks so much for the help!  Love those lights on your '53!