Clutch issue??

Here's one for you.... After extensive adjustment, draining, cleaning, new fluid, cable adjustment, pedal adjustment etc to get my 43K Hudson 262, 3 spd, 1949 into shape, I have for a little while noticed that the clutch kind of fought me going into 2nd or 3rd if I didn't have the revs at a certain point. This seemed to only happen when the car was relatively cold and seemed to improve as the car warmed up with driving.
Lately I have been doing work under the back of the car and had it on jack stands for about three weeks. Surprisingly, after completing the rear work and dropping car back down, I took it out for a ride and the car shifted beautifully....smoother shifts than ever before and no difficulty getting into gear at any particular rpm.
The clutch doesn't leak, it is at recommended full capacity (Hudsonite fluid) and has only been driven about 100 miles since drain and fill.
Now, a week later, the trans operates is back operating as it did before, being difficult until warmed up!
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Body flex... the clutch pedal is linked to the clutch paddles via a metal linkage mount that is bolted to the frame.  This mount provides the pivot for the clutch pedal paddles to intersect with those mounted on the bell housing these are what cause the throw out bearing to engage and disengage when the clutch pedal is pushed.   If the pivot point is worn and or the mount bolts are loose the shifting will be as you described.  Use the link in my signature to take you to my Stepdown repair website and select CLUTCH on the front page. There is a set of pictures showing a failed linkage mount and its repair there.

• Great, where would I get the correct Oilite bearing and what size would it be?
    Thank you
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Check with bearing supply shops and machine shops, either should be able to find the needed material
  • DonB
    DonB Member

can anyone give me the approx. thickness of the clutch housing gasket for my 1928 Essex Super 6, or where I can purchase a gasket.

jandon7@frontier.com

Thanks

Don B

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I doubt you will be able to buy a gasket, cut one yourself, it's pretty simple.  Make it out of 1.5mm material.
  • DonB said:

can anyone give me the approx. thickness of the clutch housing gasket for my 1928 Essex Super 6, or where I can purchase a gasket.

jandon7@frontier.com

Thanks

Don B

DonB .....you're a new member, so I'll just say that if you're not staying on topic with an existing post, it's a good idea to start your own post.
    Anyway welcome to the HET!
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Oldfarmer is right, make sure that linkage is in good shape. I remember replacing mine after realizing that I was losing almost an inch of clutch arm travel due to worn parts. Having said that, I've just accepted the fact that my first shift from first to second when it's cold is still a bit stiff and slow.