Trans problem

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor

I just want to say thanks to Gus Souza for fixing my auto trans problem  over the phone. Gus is an amazing old guy.

The Hornet has just sat most of the time for a couple of years and the trans locked up. Gus told me when a car sits for long periods of time this condition will happen. I did what he said to do and trans works fine now. Thanks Gus. Richie.

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    So........What did he tell you to do? :)
  • Richie
    Gus told me the cone clutch which is aluminum reacts with and gets stuck with a dissimilar metal after sitting for long periods of time. He said to rock the car back and forth from drive to reverse and it should pop loose, "It did" and I drove it around the block. All shifts are normal. I will start driving it on a regular basis now. Richie 
  • Good info to know!
  • Richie
    Ken, the car was only driven occasionally for almost two years. The trans has a leak and dripped oil everywhere we went, so we drove it less and less. Richie.
  • Richie
    Anything is possible Ken, I kept it full as after every ride I would check it and add what was needed. I drove it again yesterday and drives good. Added some Lucas stop leak as Gus suggested.