12V ignition coil in a '53 Super Jet

Hey all, new user here!

I've got a finicky '53 Jet that I've been working on - It was running recently but now I can't get it to even fire. I suspect it's the ignition coil or distributer because there's no spark from the old "hold the line a few millimeters from the plug" trick. 

Now I've noticed that the coil itself is an old aftermarket 12V unit, while the rest of the car appears to have been left 6V. Is it possible that this 12V coil has damaged any other ignition components, and is it sensible to replace it with a 6V unit?

Any reason why this 12V unit was used other than availability, or other parts that might need changing if I revert to back? 

Thanks!

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    It's unlikely that it would damage anything but it probably won't make a good spark on 6 volts. I would replace the condenser before I did anything else. They tend to go bad all by themselves. Then I would clean and gap the points. But definitely install the proper coil and check all wiring. Make sure you have power to the coil with the key on. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Hudson Open Forum!
  • Thanks dwardo99!

I'm making a list of parts to replace so I'll add a condenser in there as well. Looking at the coil, distributer cap, new plugs and wires. Anything else worth swapping out? Seems ignition parts are pretty cheap. 

I'll check the gap points and give the contacts a good clean as well. 

• Thanks Jon! Seems like a great resource to have.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Welcome, and don't forget a new rotor!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Deferred: an even better resource is the H-E-T Club, which sponsors this forum! http://www.hetclub.org/
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There are two types of 12v coils, one uses a ballast resistor, and one does not.  If you have one that states to be used with a ballast, you can use this on 6 volts. Ensure that you have the   correct polarity. On a  6v positive ground system, the  +  terminal must go to the distributor.