1951 Hudson Hornet 308 Electrical Questions

I'm in the process of attempting to get this car running. It hasn't ran in 30 years. I first want to get the engine to turn over, either by hand wrench or with the starter. Before I do this, I would like to talk to somebody about the 6V battery hook up. If you're interested and comfortable answering some questions, please send me your email address or email me at rumblefish351@aim.com
Thanks.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you don't get a response right away, you could probably just post the questions here and we'll be happy to answer them!
  • Questions in public are good. That's why I check here every day. I'm a Hudson rookie and have been staring at a crusty 308 in my shop every day.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited May 2017
    FYI
    Here is what I do when checking an unknown motor if stuck. Take the sparkplugs out then put pressure onto the fan belt to try to turn the motor over with the fan. If cant turn that way remove the flywheel cover (Automatic) using a pry bar or large screw driver in a tooth on the flywheel then pry the flywheel to turn.

If turns, motor is free then buy a cheap Universal 12 V coil and Ballast Resister to replace the stock 6V Coil then jump over using a 12V Battery in Bat Tray, However, before cranking use fresh gas gravity feed into the carb. (12V on the 6V starter will work if dont crank very long)

However, if you find the motor is 'stuck', you will need to tear it apart. If stuck, usually its the valve guides and/or the pistons.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2017
    To do a quick  bench test on the starter after removal and setting on a stable surface, take a set of jumper cables, attach one to positive and then to ground on starter (starter mounting flange lip) make sure surface is clean for electrical path, then the other cable to negative on battery. Take the other end of that cable  and just touch the starter wire post nut, if the starter is ok it should "throw" the bendix and turn the shaft. I touch the post nut so the post doesn't arch and get damaged.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Couple of other things to consider if this is your first rodeo. Pour a small amount of diesel or kero or engine oil down each spark plug hole to lubricate the bores before you start trying to turn the engine.

Check that sump oil hasn't turned into a jelly, that can happen if an engine sits a long time. Oil pumps are no good at pumping jelly. Remove the sump plug and make sure liquid oil runs out. Maybe even drain it all and refill with the cheapest engine oil you can find.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Can both forum posts on this be combined? Some of the same info on both.

http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/169962/1951-hudson-hornet-hardtop-engine-turnover-advice-needed#latest

• Update. I'm working on 2 things at once. I've taken out the spark plugs and I'm soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil for 48 hours before I turn engine over. Also, I'm gonna remove starter and bench test it. I tried to jump it and nothing happened. Thanks for all the input and ideas, it is appreciated. 
  • So I had to pull the fan and radiator to get my socket on the crank bolt. I got the motor to turn a little bit two times, but it wasn't easy. With the plugs out, I was hoping it move a little easier. I'm gonna put some more Marvels Mystery Oil down the cylinders and give it another 2 days and try again. It's not looking good.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You can remove the bottom panel and get access to the  crank nut, using a large adjustable wrench.