Hudson 308 service and new battery questions

What is the easiest way of draining the oil from the motor. Is there a drain plug? Also, I bought a new 6V battery and I've always had 12V systems cars in the past. I am new to Hudsons. Am I to understand that the (+) cable goes to ground and the (-) cable goes to the starter relay? 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Assuming you have an early 50's Hudson, it would be positive ground, but it's always good to check with a shop manual first (even your driver's manual may have a wiring diagram).  No telling how the previous owner had it hooked up (maybe wrong!).

There should be a drain plug near the bottom of the engine oil pan, on my '37 it's near the back.
  • Yes, there's a drain plug at the rear of the oil pan.  On my car, it's a square nut, not a hex.  You'll need around 8 quarts or so to refill it.  More, if you have the external oil filter accessory...
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Assuming it is an unmolested 308, there is a drain plug at the rear of the pan.  As for the battery.... yes (+) to ground and (-) to starter relay.  If the previous owner had it backward you may want to repolarize the generator so you know everything is going to work correctly with the Positive ground.  If it has an alternator time to rethink the entire battery thing as it may be 12v. (not that it does, but there are so few that have not been screwed with anymore)

Jay

• Jon and ice: TY
    Jay: I think the car is unmolested and it is a generator. I will check later today. The car hasn't run or been started in 30 years and there was no battery. I pulled the plugs and I sprayed penetrating oil and added a little Marvel's Mystery Oil into the cylinders and I'm letting them sit for 2 days. Then I will see if the engine is stuck or if it will turn.  Thanks.