hood pops up

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
How do I adjust the hood on our 54 Hornet to keep it from popping up when I drive the car.  Hudsonly Ray

Comments

• Do you have the correct springs on the front latch?

I have the opposite problem.  Mine takes so much force to slam it shut...  It's on my list of stuff to fix...

I think Wildricks sells the correct springs...
  • My 51 Super did this until I soaked the release cable with penetrating oil. There was so much friction from rust powder inside the cable sheath that even a new spring wouldn't keep it latched. It took 2 weeks of off and on soakings and a new spring, but my issue was fixed.
  • Extra spring installed on mine; also a bent 'coat hanger' emerg. on other side of pull wire. Not proper to some, but works, along with good adjustment of plunger and lub.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    I don't own a StepDown but isn't the adjustment made in the rubber bumpers (that the hood bottoms out on)?  Screwing them down would, I think, allow the hood to come down further, and the latch pin to penetrate the latch deeper and be held more securely by it.  Currently, the latch pin may just barely be held by the latch, and that is why it is  popping open.

OR, the adjustment is made by the latch pin itself (which looks like an elongated old fashioned Christmas tree light bulb).  I think it has a slot in the tip of the triangular part, for a screwdriver, and it might have a lock nut holding the threaded end.  By unscrewing it slightly (after releasing the lock nut), it will extend further downward and when shut, will penetrate the latch better, so that it is fully held by the latch.

(If adjustment IS made by the catch, then be sure to tighten the lock nut -- if there is one -- to prevent the latch pin from turning and going out of adjustment.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks Jon B I will try that.  Ray
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor

2 things need to be address.

Make sure the hood "T" cable is pushed in, they like to stay out when releasing.

Inside the hood take a 3/4 wrench and loosen the nut, take a flat blade screw driver and length the shaft one complete turn till it stops popping up.

• 48rob
    48rob Member
    I'll second the advice Russ posted.
    I had the same issue, followed the advice, and have never had another problem. :)
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks Russ I will try that.I hadent thought of that adjustment.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    and everyone for the help  Ray