Hudson tool kits

Val
Val Member
My owners manual states that Hudson provided tool kits in every car (39) and mentions a few items but I was wondering does anyone know exactly what all was in the tool kit??

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The parts manual sometimes lists the tools found in the tool kit, though of course they don't show photos of what the tools look like.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Jon I'll take a look, as my owners manual says "several" wrenches and also mentions a screwdriver but not what type. 
  • My 39 came with its original tool kit although I don't know what's been added to or missing. I currently have the leather roll with an upholsterer being duplicated. I'll take a photo and post it so you can see as a starting point. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Nerve Center, yes please do I would like to se so I at least have path forward 
  • Here are the contents on what's left of the leather roll. I think the 2 smaller wrenches, the plug socket and grease gun were original. Don't know about the rest as I cant remember. Keep posting if you come up with any further info.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thank you and I will do that if I find any further info as to let you know. I appreciate the photo
  • Val
    Val Member
    Also to inform you that my owners manual calls out a hammer also a screwdriver
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    "If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer".
  • Interesting Val. That prompted me to go back to the manual and have a look. The hammer must be original then but I guess the screwdriver is the 1st to go missing. It's only a small hammer. As the car gets older the hammer needs to get bigger.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Are any of these tools stamped or embossed Hudson much like some Ford tools from the Model T era were marked?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    That is way more tools than Hudson would have placed in the pouch!  Traditionally, these tool kits came with a pair of pliers, one or two screwdrivers, possibly a spark plug wrench and possibly a couple of open end wrenches.  A very simple array!
  • Val
    Val Member
    My next question would be what sizes of wrenches and how many 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Unless someone can jump in here with an exact inventory of tools, you may have to find someone with a very original car, and ask him/her what's in their tool pouch.  I would start with the registry keeper for the 1939's.  That person may be aware of the very original, untouched cars on the registry, and be able to put you in touch with their owners.  For example, there is one fellow in England with a totally original, low mileage 1937 Terraplane, where virtually everything is factory-original.  I'd bet there was a '39 out there in the same condition.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I'll take a look in the club directory. I am trying to put one together for my car although I will add to it I feel it would be nice to have what Hudson recommended.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Jon the Club page for that is unavailable at the moment
  • sidevalve
    sidevalve Member
    edited June 2017
    The fellow in England (France now!) has been a bit quiet for a while - usual thing, with 'life' and family issues getting in the way! Thought I'd have a look at the forum, and here I see my name being taken in vain!  :):)

But sadly, although the car is staggeringly original, it does not appear to have a tool kit! There is a jack and handle with it, and a wheelbrace (sorry, lug wrench!), but that's all that came with the car, IIRC (the reason I say IIRC is because I have added some nice vintage tools myself, but they are not Hudson ones).

Finally, here's a pic of it to show you it's still in good health! In fact it reminds me to ask - I took the fender skirts off about 5 years ago to paint them while I still had the bodyshop, and then the move to France got in the way and I didn't have time to refit them. Now I have got time, but I can't remember how they go on! When I flip the catch at the bottom the clip at the top engages, but that doesn't hold them in place. And I also have an Allen key that Duke gave me, in a little bag labelled 'fender skirt key'. But I can't remember what I am supposed to do up (some Allen bolts I assume!) or where and how they fit! So after the pic was taken I had to take the skirts off again!

Cheers - Alan

P.S. Here's another one of it in the mountains on the way back from town!
  • Very nice car. Do you still drive it?