Hydramatic column shifter problem

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
My shifter keeps turning on the rod it is attached to and thus will not go into gear. I think there is a spline on the rod, but the set screw seems to be off it. I have tightened the screw and still the problem persists. Can't seem to move the lever up or down. HELP! This is a 54 Hornet

Thanks 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Is the rivet under the shifter mechanism at the top of shifter in place? The clamp at the bottom is held in place with a hex head screw.  Should thighten to keep the lower part of shifter aligned.  The clamp is potmetal and suseptable to thread stripping.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    John, Check the splines on both the die cast shifter  arm to shifter rod  and check the shifter rod. Sometimes if the rod has been replated, the splines are too shallow for the die cast piece to dig into.Tightening the set screw really won't help much. The splines have to be good  on both parts for the mechanism to work well. Been there had that happen.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    I had the same problem. I drilled an indentation where the set screw contacts the shaft. That gave it enough bite to stop the rotation.