Expired HET membership

Hudsonrules
Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
I am getting older as many Hudson owners are, including health issues for us or our wives. I am a care giver 24/7 and have recieved my last issue of the WTN. Now my question, why renue? not  anything with Hudsons going on in Northern Nevada  There are Hudsons out there, but no one seems interested in getting together. I have a '37 terraplane that is decent but needs the brakes finished. No interest on my part to finnish. But I have to take care of my wife as she has terminal health issues. I am unsure what to do. I like Hudsons and have driven and owned them for over fifty years. Some one tell me why I should renue and stay in the HET Club. Thanks. Arnie in Nevada

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited May 2017

Arnie, like many other Hudson folks, I too am starting down the road you describe and these "Golden years" that come with some real challenges.  I expect that you have at this point sold your other cars and wonder why you continue to hold on to your remaining car?  I do not have any good insight for you.  I am not sure there is any.  However, for me a Hudson is the remaining evidence of a life long love of the American automobile and the remaining tribute of the many cars that I have owned and built over the last 60 years.  Some good builds and some that went bad. Along with the cars are many memories and friends that have been an important part of my life.  I do some maintenance on my cars; but, in today's time I pass on the more difficult effort to professionals. As an example, I stopped doing brake work fifteen years ago--never liked it and in most cases it is cheaper to have it done.  This gives me more time to drive my car to the supermarket or to McDonalds for a quick breakfast.  Often, I simply take a car out for a short drive (half-hour or so) just for the memories.  Like all fixed income retires watching my cash flow has become a major issue.  The WTN and membership is not expensive, but I always have a place to spent a few extra bucks.  However, Each time I see a friend on the cover-or in print (1910 Hudson with Don Lottes at the wheel--March/April issue) it brings back a memory of riding in his car in your home state. A real honor for me.  At this point in our lives the memories are sometimes the only "Golden" moments of our lives.  So, as with today, I plan to go out to my shop, sit at the old desk, and spend some time looking at my car and reflecting on some of those great moments of the by-gone years.  Might even pull up some recording of Paul Harvey and remember when we were the rest of the story....

• ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    Hi Arnie,  why not let the het membership expire and enjoy the website? It's free

if I could offer some advice - you don't really need to have the car go anywhere - treat it as a mancave art work - something to tinker with to de-stress when you feel like a diversion. You just need to lose the guilty feeling that you must have it in working condition - treat it like that Queen Mary liner decomissioned years ago - but still enjoyed by many people today
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Arnie, so here is a completely unbiased opinion from your friendly neighborhood membership chair.  Probably more than most, I see the inflow and outflow of members from the Club.  I get the notes from folks with the reason why they are not renewing.  There are tons of reasons why folks don't renew and they frequently include the reasons you mention in your post.  For me personally, the Club is not a magazine, not a forum but a community of folks who have similar interests to me.  They speak a language I understand and I enjoy hearing them going through the same struggles I am having with my Hudsons.  Many times the only way I can hear what they are saying is through the WTN or through the forums.  None of these are free, your membership supports these activities. If everyone stopped their membership, the magazine, the forums, the meets and everything else the Club does to support this interaction would go away.  Ideally we see the Club as facilitating the transfer not only of cars, but knowledge and resources to the next generation of antique cars owners.  They will have their own set of issues and troubles as parts continue to get more sparse and we try and keep them going.  If this is inline with your views on the hobby, I think keeping your Club membership helps keep us going in that direction.  

Aaron
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    I joined the HET in 1963 and was a member for 45 years, I sold my 1933 Terraplane eight coupe 3 years ago, Why did I quit??. There was no activity in this area Hudson wise. Not like the Pa./, Md area where I lived before, Plus the national meets got to be to much money to attend and I just plain got tired of club membership..
  • allan
    allan Member

As a second generation Hudson owner I believe Aaron has made the best argument for remaining a club member.

Allan

• allan
    allan Member

P.S. I am also a full time care giver for my 1st generation parent and it's difficult to get away these days, but I still love my cars and my personal relationships with the many club members I know.

Allan

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited May 2017
    I keep up with the Club because of the great people.  The WTN is a good publication but it seems to have become more of a social publication than anything else. There are a few good tech items occasionally, but a Q&A tech area and (I know some may get tired of hearing this) but some articles from the archives that were written by expert Hudson mechanics, now long since working on new Hudsons in the great beyond, would be nice for the new comers.  When I joined by in '85 I read every tech related article that came along in the WTN.  Still it is nonetheless about the people and great cars that were once top of the line.