HUDSON HELP ME PLZ

Hello I have a 1941-42 Hudson in my shop. We have researched for the longest time to get all of the right info. It says the following for serial numbers casting numbers etc:
Serial #20574 (Inside passenger door panel plate)
Engine stamps:
E 131 Which I believe would mean May 13 1941?
Casting # 162450
CWC (Which would be Campbell, Wyant $ Cannow from Muskegon Michigan)
On the other side inside the engine there is a 1X and outside it stamped 203
There are other numbers which are 800
Distributor is stamped 16w4203A
Please help!
We need the crankshaft sizes and any other info you may have. Thank you!!!!

Comments

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

The S/N indicates that it's a '42 "Traveler" with the 175 cu. in. engine, unless it has been changed out for something else. There's a number stamped on the top of the block between the first two exhaust ports that will match the S/N if it's original.  The casting date is as you said and the distributor model is correct for that engine. I suggest that you acquire a Mechanical Procedure Manual (MPM) for that vehicle. You'll be glad you did as it will answer almost all of your questions.....there's always something they leave out.

The Hudson has a number of idiosyncrasies, unique features and, some would say, downright odd stuff. The famous Hudson Cork-Insert, Wet-Disc Clutch is no deviation from that. They're great as long as they're set up right and properly maintained. That engine is a full splash-lubricated unit that has it's own set of challenges. Most common rebuild parts are available except the rod and main bearings which, in most cases, requires that you have them re-Babbitted and the mains line-bored in-situ to finish.

There's more....lots more 

Frank 

• Aww thank you. And where can I purchase the manual?
  • From what I had found, we thought it was a commadore or deluxe six?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Assuming that you have given us the complete serial number, this would indicate that the car is a 1942 "Traveler", 6 cylinder.  The Traveler had a somewhat smaller horsepower engine (175 cid versus the standard 212 cid six cylinder engine used in most Hudsons in that era).  It has a 3" bore and 4-1/8" stroke.  There's a ton of information available, so why not ask specific questions and I'm sure folks will chime in with exactly what you need.

I assume that you're saying this is a customer's car and that you are repairing it.  If so, you might suggest that the customer join the H-E-T Club (which sponsors this forum) because it's a great clearinghouse of information on these cars.  Their website has an on-line library of manuals, parts lists, etc., which are available to members. http://www.hetclub.org/  Through the Club roster your client may also discover that there's someone living nearby with a '42, which is always helpful to know if you need some quick technical information or need to inspect another '42 in order to see what the original looked like.

I removed your identical posting under the "Hudson" category, because two identical postings will collect two sets of replies, which is always very hard to keep track of!
  • Ok Thank You. Also, I do have a few specific questions.
    - Crankshaft bearing sizes
    - Where I may be able to find tail light bezels

• Val
    Val Member
    Try Jason at Albrights in California  http://www.albrightcars.com/  909 823 9168 they maybe can help you with the bezels
  • Val!!! Thank you!!!!!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Crankshaft bearings, 1942, 6 cyl.

End play taken by Center bearing
    3 bearings
    Radial clearance .001”

No. 1 2.343 x 1.625
    No. 2 2.375 x 1.750
    No. 3 2.406 x 2.375

Bearing End Play .006" – .012"
    Adjustment Type: None

Please wait for verification from some other forum member.  I'm reading from a mechanical specifications list.  Sometimes printing mistakes happen.

Where are you located?  One of the forum members may live nearby and have a similar car, or possess some good mechanical knowledge and be able to pass it along to you.  And you might actually live near an upcoming Hudson meet, where you could meet other people who could offer technical advice, and even have the parts you need to buy.

As to the taillight bezel, always check out Ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/142362431234?rmvSB=true

Those in the Club often check with some of the Hudson parts vendors in the magazine; the stuff is often available but you have to ask the right people!

Not that it matters but I read that the "Traveler" name had been dropped by '42 and replaced with Hudson Six. S/Ns still began with 20.

We could keep quoting the MPM for answers to your questions, but all of that, and more, is in that publication.

Also, seriously consider joining the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club (if you haven't already done so). It's a great organization that will provide you with sources for info through the Club Store or The Club Library. Joining obligates you to nothing and isn't at all expensive. All wins, IMO.

Frank

• Val
    Val Member
    I agree with Frank in that if you join the club it will open up more possibilities and info for you. as mentioned it has a library and manuals are available you can also visit http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/ and they will have the reprinted MPM you need
    edited May 2017

In addition to the specifications that you are requesting, the MPM will help you avoid a pile of pitfalls as you go through the process of bringing your Hudson back to life. As always, manuals always leave some things to the imagination but it's a good place to start. If you still have questions (and you will) then you can ask here. Some info, even if spelled out in the MPM will not make sense unless you've got the stuff in your hand.

Where did you say you are?

• We are in Osage Beach Missouri. 
    I greatly appreciate all of the info and data. 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    How about I send you a complimentary copy of the White Triangle News, the award winning publication of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.  Lots of valuable information in each issue.

Send me your snail mail address.  xxxForkner@aol.com   (remove the xxx)

John Forkner
    Spring Hill, Kansas  (SW of KCK)
  • goodfellazstore@gmail.com
  • That would be great! Thank you

• All of contact info is attached.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Regarding the manual, there are several internet stores that sell original and reprint manuals and sales literature for all makes.  One is "Autolit" but I just checked -- they don't have any '42 shop manuals. 

The H-E-T Club Store sells a reprint for $24 (see below), but they sell manuals only to Club members. Here's the Club Store page showing literature for sale:   http://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=11&Itemid=1185&limitstart=48

Do consider joining the H-E-T!  In fact, once you're a member you can download these manuals right to your computer, at no charge!

• Val
    Val Member
    Sent you a message