Electric Hand

Val
Val Member
Is the electric hand system still readily available? If so is it advisable to install one on my car? I don't know the track record of that system 

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    I have the column shifter if interested.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If it was ever readily available it sure isn't now!  But if you ask around you might find someone with the entire system.  It's quite complicated and "can" be made to work, but it's a labor of love. And not particularly practical.  (That said, I have one in a cardboard box and would love to install it in my '37 before I die....)
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks guys sounds like it may not be the practical thing to do. My car didn't come with it and I have at the advice of Dr Doug have an O/D transmission  installed. Was just wondering if there were still plenty available and if so I may have went that way just for the novelty of it
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Quite complicated?? The full workshop manual for 1937 is 500 pages, half of it is devoted to Electric Hand :D
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Can be likened to using a bulldozer to  lift a butterfly!
  • Per
    Per Member
    My '35 Hudson had the electric hand originally, but by the time I got it, the automatic clutch was still there, but the rest had been removed.  The automatic clutch has worked fine for me for the last 55 years!  It is nice if stuck in stop-and-go traffic, or in a slow  parade that sometimes moves, sometimes pauses.