picking up our Hudson

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
This morning with the help of our nephew and brother and our nephews truck and trailer we drove about140 miles round trip and picked up our 54 Hornet Hollywood that has been at our friends shop and brought within 10 miles from our place to do some touch up things.in another shop.  Ray

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Photos Ray....

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I had my camera with me but I was soooo excited about finally  trailering the car home I forgot to take pictures of loading the car. Sorry about that.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Congratulations Ray, hope you are able to drive it soon.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hopefully in the next week. If it stops snowing and raining. It is so wet around our place . Thanks for the encouragement.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Our friend that is doing a few odd jobs on our car phoned tonight and said he greased car made new steel lines for vacuum and gas to carbs and rebuilt fuel pump also is installing an electric fuel pump to prime car and for vapor lock when needed. I did not have a car hoist and I am very clausterfobic. So some things I did not get accomplished.Next few days will tell all.He said there might be some bugs to take care of.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Good to hear about the progress you're making on your Hollywood.  I know that you're anxious to get out there and drive it.  Enjoy!
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I heard from our friend yesterday that he was fixing the battery box and installing the electric fuel pump.It is getting close. EHAW.  Hudsonly Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    My wife and I went and drove the hudson home today. It shifts good from 1-2 but 2-3 and 3-4 start to shift then go out of gear. Our friend put in trans sealer and conditioner and said the tranny will start to shift better. I give the car very light throttle going home and all the shifts worked much better.The more I drive the car the better it should shift.All the shifts from 4 to 1 shifted good. Hudsonly  Ray
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Ray, does your 54 have a hydramatic or Borg Warner trans?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Our 54 Hornet has hydramatic.  Thanks for the reply  Ray
  • Ray, there is an interesting article on these transmissions on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

From the article:

"Many Hydramatics did not execute the 2-3 shift very well, as the shift involved the simultaneous operation of two bands and two clutches. Accurate coordination of these components was difficult to achieve, even in new transmissions. As the transmission's seals and other elastomers aged, the hydraulic control characteristics changed and the 2-3 shift would either cause a momentary flare (sudden increase in engine speed) or tie-up (a short period where the transmission is in two gears simultaneously), the latter often contributing to failure of the front band. Much of the difficulty in staging a "clean" 2-3 or 3-2 shift in any cast iron Hydramatic was the changing elasticity of the governing springs in the valve bodies. Even ambient temperature would affect this variable, so that a Hydramatic that would shift perfectly on a summers day would usually exhibit 2-3 "flare" when cold. Another long-standing driver complaint would be "flare" when trying to get a "3-2" downshift when going around a corner, which usually resulted in a neck snapping jolt upon band application."
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    On heavier acceleratior pressure our 2-3 and 3-4 has sudden increase in engine speed. When I use light throttle 2-3 and 3-4 shift better. When down shifting from 4-1 I can hardly feel any shifting.