Question is will the drive shafts be interchangeable?

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
edited April 2017 in HUDSON
My '53 Hornet has o/d, and 4.55 Dana rear end.   I can get a '50 4.1 rear end.  Question is will the drive shaft be the same length?  I figured it will be easier just to transplant the entire assembly rather than change the crown wheel and pinion in the Dana.

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I am sure it will fit. I changed the original rear end on my '51 Hornet to a later Dana rear (Hydramatic) many years ago on the parking lot of my apartment building. However, the early Hudson rear is much less strong than the Dana and may eventually break. That's why I changed it, because I broke it <span>:wink:</span>
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    AFAIK the Dana/Hudson diff swap is a straight swap over. Brake components will swap from one diff to the other.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thanks all. I thought as much, but there are so few Step-downs here, I don't have  any close by to compare.  I know the early diffs were not as strong, but it's not as though I do burn-offs every time I take the car out!   It is easier I think to change the entire rear end than to  fit a new  gear set in the Dane.  I don't  have a housing spreader for starters.
    Geoff
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    It is much easier for sure. My 25-year-old self did it on jackstands in one afternoon with a very basic tool kit. I wouldn't underrate the strength aspect, though. Yes, I was beating that car and my father told me that I would destroy the rear if I continued. However, my mother broke three successive Hudson rears in his '51 Hollywood, which is why he switched to Ford and never looked back. It appears the 308 is just a bit much for it. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Just to make sure we are on the same page. The early diff. has a larger diameter axle housing than the later Dana. If you swap an early axle into a 52 or later car, you will need the shock mounting plates and larger U bolts from the early rear car..
  • Geoff C., N.Z. said:it's not as though I do burn-outs every time I take the car out!  
    Geoff

So only occasionally then?

Sorry mate, I couldn't help myself.
  • SuperDave
    Yes as long as they were both long wheel base cars (No Pacemaker or wasp).
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    :o Ah, so Murphy's law applies "Interchangeable parts exhibit fundamental differences".  I don't think tose parts are available, so I will either have to make them or go to the trouble of changing the  internals of the Dana diff in the car.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Geoff, I will most probably have the shock mounting plates and maybe usable U bolts as well. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Great, thanks Bob.  Will see you in July when we come over for our annual visit.
  • SuperDave
    Swapping a Dana into a 48-51 works ok. with the smaller axle. I have done it twice. U Bolts are close enough in size.