Hello!

Josh
Josh Member
Hello!  About a year and a half ago I stumbled on a 49 Hudson Commodore for a steal and began my journey it complete (I think) with one extra part, rust.  It has an 8 cylinder and 3 speed on the column.  I was turned here by a local hetclub guy and am excited to ask questions and figure some stuff out on this car!

Josh

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Welcome aboard.  Ask away!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2017
    Welcome, Josh!  Glad you've got a Hudson and that you've joined the Forum.  However, please proceed with caution, before investing any time and money in this car.  Check out the situation of the perimeter frame, especially around the rear wheel area and further back.  If you have any rust, this is where it will happen, and it will be costly to have repaired, unless you're good at body work!  Every Hudson is not fated to rust away like this, but if you happen to have acquired a Hudson that's lived a "hard life" on salted winter streets (and sitting out in someone's "back forty" for 30 years) you might be in for a nasty surprise.  The main thing is not to start investing thousands in this car, only to discover that you have thousands of dollars still to invest in frame repair alone!

(I don't mean to sound negative, it's just that when you said "a steal" I started seeing red flags!)

And, yes, let us know where you're located.  There are a lot of Hudson enthusiasts out there who love to help fellow Hudson owners, and it's not a bad thing to have a Hudson expert nearby to offer firsthand advice when you need it.
  • Restoring or moding?
    old anchor turn over & start up?

I have a 49 i saved from restoration.
    Cool body style and i personally think the hudson step down four door is one of the best looking more doors ever made.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

This is my barn find in 1998.  A crease in the front and a broken windshield with 29,000 mi on it. I spent $1200 for it and a parts car, and another $7500 restoring it, and painting it myself.  40% was chrome cost.  I live in Northville, NY and have driven it since 2004.  Pittsburg, (Albright award), Boston, Springfield, Detroit and a lot of places in between.  Now has almost 42,000 mi on it.  3 speed overdrive and gets 19 mpg.  My first 49 was in 1955.  This is my 3rd, all 4-doors. Tires are 4 1/4 WW Goodyear Super Cushions.  Started out with radials and didn't like them.

It's a 6 but I'm running the straight 8 in my pickup and 40 coupe. 

Post some pics and get to it.

• Josh
    Josh Member
    Thanks for the warm welcome!  I haven't checked the rear wheel area for rust specifically but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any.  It doesnt start but will turn by hand, so its not siezed up.  I also haven't opened up the engine yet so there could be surprises waiting there.

I will probably mod it but for now I'd like to get it going.  Any suggeations on engine rebuild kits?  How about disc brake conversions?  From what I have read both Faust and Pridemore are not making kits anymore.  I even saw that someone pieced together something from more modern parts (although I can't find that post anymore).

Thanks!
    PS. I attached a couple pics.  Dude in the green shirt is my right hand man on this project.  He loves workin on it!
  • 50C8DAN
    ABS still makes the brake kits, $670 for everything: http://abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset032.html

• 50C8DAN
    Nice it has an H8 in it.  I have a '50C8 and it is one of the quietest and nicest running engines around.  I just got a Hornet, and although more power it does not have the smoothness of the 8.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Josh, your Righthand Man suddenly jogged my brain.  You are the one selling this car in the D.C. area Craigslist, right?  Sorry it took so long to make the connection.  (I'm the one who sent you here....I think!)

So...are you keeping the car, or do you just want to get it together enough to sell it?  Either way, we can help you with more advice than you'll ever want.

If you want to hold onto it, let me make a modest suggestion.  Assuming that the frame isn't too badly rusted (if it were, then investing another penny in this car would be problematic) you might want to just get it on the road and make sure you like it, before tackling any big update projects like disc brakes.  The original Hudson brakes were as good as any others in that era, and will do a fine job of stopping you.  They can be rejuvenated at a fraction of the cost of converting them to disc brakes.  THEN, down the line, when you have the time & effort, you could go for the whole nine yards and convert to disc brakes.  (But by then you may discover that you are happy with drum brakes.)

As to the engine, if you discover that it needs expensive repairs you might want to sniff around for an exact Hudson replacement (in running condition, of course).  Again, you'd encounter no particular installation problems because it "plugs right in" to your car.  Complete, running Hudson engines pop up every so often, both within the H-E-T Club and in places like Ebay or Craigslist.  Or try the H.A.M.B. online.  (Guys who are street rodding these cars are happy to get some money for the engine they just yanked, one which may indeed be in great running condition.)

If you discover that the engine only has minor problems (let's say a couple valves are bad, or the carb isn't working correctly), these things can be fixed cheaply.  Hudson parts are not priced like Roll Royce parts. 

So, with only a quick brake renewal and a bit of engine work, you might actually be able to get this baby on the road and start enjoying it in a month or so.  Instead of having it clog up your garage for years, the Mother of All Projects, finally hitting the road on the day that the Little Guy informs you his wife is expecting!
  • Josh
    Josh Member

Jon!  I'm the guy!  Today I'm keeping it.  I also see the writing on the wall for selling it (but I'll still entertain offers)...if that makes sense.  I'll take you're advice and just get it going.  What are some good parts sources (local or online)?  I have "googled" it some but don't know what's good or not, or it it matters.

Dan, good to know it's a smooth operator!  Or at least can be when I get it running!

Thanks!
    Josh

• Val
    Val Member
    Welcome Josh, so far as parts availability there are a number of places one is Wildrick's another is Albrights in California. I think Jon B had put a list of parts contacts on the web at one time. Also Dale Cooper in Ohio. I have yet to run into anyone who would do you wrong in selling you bad parts. Good luck with it. And we are always here when you need us. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Josh, glad to hear you've decided to hold onto it -- at least for awhile.  Once you start driving it around you'll have a "feel" for whether or not you want to stick with it.  I hope you do, of course, but I'd rather have you happy with another car than unhappy with your Hudson, so, give it a shot and see how you feel.

First, as to parts.  You will NOT find them in the usual places, unless you ask for the part by its "common make" application.  I can get new wheel cylinders and a new universal joint from my nearby parts house, but not if I ask for a Hudson part.  Start to keep a list of the interchanges, or of the aftermarket part number, and ask for these instead when ordering.  If you say Hudson you will get a blank stare from the 20-something guy at the counter.  Actually, if you don't need a part "tomorrow" you are better off ordering from the network of Hudson suppliers.  You can find a list at my Hudson Repro Parts site http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf , and Ken Cates has a marvelous and information-packed website just for StepDown owners, at http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/http://

The H-E-T Club is a great clearinghouse of information, parts, technical stuff, and a portal for meeting the people of the Hudson network.  You'll find a lot of parts advertised in the magazine (which is worth the price of admission alone).

So by now you are getting the picture: if you own a Hudson, parts are going to be a little more of a challenge than if you owned a '57 Chevy or a late model Toyota!  The stuff IS out there, and it can be quite reasonably priced, but you have to look for it.

I would suggest you start making contacts with other owners of StepDowns in your area (Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, if anyone reads this who lives in that area).  Often, they can offer valuable technical information, and most of them stock extra parts; in a pinch they might be willing to sell them to you!  I'm up near Warrenton but -- alas! -- my car is a 1937 so I'm useless to you.

You may have noticed that we're holding the 54th annual "Doc's Apple Blossom Meet" next weekend, out in Front Royal.  The flyer's on the web here: http://cbc.hetclub.org/Docs%20Flyer%202017.pdf   It's three days, so if you can make it out there Friday afternoon, Saturday late afternoon or Sunday morning, you can meet some fellow Hudson owners (the official car show is Sunday morning at the Skyline Caverns). 

I"ve probably bored you but maybe there's some piece of info that would be helpful.  Meanwhile, keep coming to the Forum with your questions and maybe we can help to at least get you "mobile".