Essex wheel

Val
Val Member
I was given this old Essex wheel by my neighbor and am wanting to hang it in my garage. Not sure what year or anything but  ironically it still holds air. The tire is dry rotted  badly and the tube is exposed. So I was wondering what size the Essex wheel and tire was? Did they come standard or different sizes?  I would like to find just  cheap used tire that is somewhat presentable. Doesn't have to be roadworthy as I am just gonna display it. Any leads or info   

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    We can try to help. I presume the hub cap has Essex it. Can you please provide a picture or some info on Your Wheel.
    1. Is there info on the tire side wall indicating the size, ie. 4.50-21  or 30- 5.00 or other?
    2. number wooden or wire spokes.
    3. Does it have brake drum attached?
    4. If a wood wheel, how many rim bolts holding the tire rim to the fellow band of the wheel?
    5. Good luck!
  • Val
    Val Member
    Yes the small hubcap (dust cover) reads ESSEX MOTORS DETROIT USA The drum is attached on the back. Wooden wheel  12 spokes 4 rim bolts the tire is too far gone to read anything on it as half of it is missing. But as I said it does still hold air. Trying to attach photo but site will not allow file type
  • Val
    Val Member
    The picture of the wheel and dust cap
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The only thing Essex there is the hub cap.  it  is definitley not an Essex wheel.
  • Val
    Val Member
    OK Thanks Geoff, how you tell???
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Essex wheels had five bolts on outer rim and  8 in the centre., and the brake drum was much larger. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    OH, well thanks or the info. I never knew much about the older cars with wheels like that. But thought it was a nice piece of history to display none the less. It was given to me so at least I have the hubcap to display.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, who besides us knows that this isn't an Essex wheel?  Go ahead and display it, we shan't tell....
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Val, Thank you for your info and picture.
    Your wheel li likely a 1928 Chevrolet wheel.
    The clincher rim to hold the tire, with the four flange bolts is likely a 21 inch by 4.50 wide tire.
    The clincher rim is very difficult to pry the tire on  or off.
    Still will make a nice wall hanger with Essex cap or Chev.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    By the way, the hub cap you have  is a 1927 and  1928 one, a little  flattened but newer ones are available, keep your eyes open,
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Jon B and Thanks you Hans for the info. I shall hang it regardless as it is a nice piece of automotive history and as Jon said who besides us knows.