Tires for 1919 essex

Old tire is 32 x 4 firestone. Have looked at coker, $280 a piece. Any other sources or advice?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Lucas tires are $259....not much cheaper.  You might check Ebay from time to time.  You never know...maybe someone is selling some good used ones.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You should bite the bullet and buy new tyres rather than  used ones, unless you get them really cheap.  You never know how old they are, whether they have been sitting flat, run soft, or are perished.  I had one perfect looking tyre, got me three miles before it blew out.  Good luck
    Geoff
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    If you are going to restore your car you will have upwards of 20 K in it; that kinda makes the price you quote for tires seem small.  Make it stop, make it go safely, make it pretty.  Be realistic here, tires are rather inexpensive when you take the whole process for what it is.
  • 11 years ago I rebuilt a 1919 Essex and put a 1920 Essex on the road that had been setting for 25 years, used Coker tires and tubes, was quite satisfied, in fact the 1919 went from Bejing. China to Paris France across the continent with no real tire problems, 6800 miles. So listen to Geoff. He and Brownie are right. These thing will really run with the right rear gearing, they offered 2 rear ratios, 5.17 and 4.11? as I remember. 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The standard ratio for Essex 4 was 56/12, with optional of 56/11 or 56/13
  • Geoff, As I remember it was also a Timken rear and shared with several other cars? and used by Essex to 1928.??

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My understanding is that the differential units were made by Timken, to Hudson Motors specification initially, and then Hudson made them themselves from 1920.  However, I could be wrong there.  I have never seen any other cars equipped with this unit.  The Timken-built units can be identified by the re-inforcing gussets on the exterior of the housing.   It was only used by 4 cylinder Essex models.  Essex 6's used a completely different unit, with even lower ratios, with 56/10 as standard.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

You can get crazy and put white tires on for big bucks but be ready for them to turn brown in about a year.  I got mine from Coker and they replaced the first set due to the discoloration.  The second set is talking slightly longer that a year to turn brown.  They look great at first.  Very disappointed in the color change but I like everything else about the tires. 

Jay

• Beautiful car. I like the natural spokes and the flat maroon paint
  • The car above has firestone no skid tires $350 a piece. Coker has a $280 goodrich and universal has a ribbed tire for $280. Thoughts on why i might want on or another of these?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2017
    What are your long-range plans for the car? 

If you were planning to sell the car, you probably shouldn't invest a lot in the tires.  Go for the cheapest and even look around to see if anyone has a full set of slightly used tires for sale (sometimes this happens when someone upgrades to premium tires; the "old" tires are in fairly good condition).

If you plan to shine it up and take it to car meets and compete for trophies, the authentic "period" appearance of the tires would be a definite "plus". 

If you really want to get this out on driving tours, you definitely want something safe that will last a number of years, and it may have modern improvements molded into it (and thus not be so authentic looking).
  • Just looking for a solid functional tire
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Then buy what you feel comfortable with.  They are all pretty much the same.  However, get new tubes (more than 4) and new flaps (at least 4).  Also give the inside of the rims a good look over.  If rusted, get rid of the rust and paint with good paint.  The last thing you need is the split rim rusting from the inside out.  Safety always the first consideration.  Also if the spokes are loose, deal with that immediately.  You don't need wobbly wooden wheels at any speed.

Jay 

• Rims and spokes are first on the list. Current tires look like it was driven over a land mine
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I would never have guessed that this size tire could be so expensive.  Over $1000 for four, and that's before tubes and flaps.  I wonder if anyone has successfully changed his Essex over to a Brand-X spoked wheel that takes a more popularly-sized tire?  It would sure be great, for example, if one could use Model A tires instead.  Those must be less expensive!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Whatever you do, do not use rust neutralizer on split rims.  This causes them to become brittle and crack. 
  • Actually $1900 for five tires, tubes, and liners, with shipping. Includes 5 year unconditional warranty. Ouch!
  • I had a complete set made for the 1919 by Calimer wheels in Waynesboro Pa. They came back blasted and primed,