'54 Continental Kit?

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
I'm going to be selling a '54 Continental Kit for a Step-Down, but first I would like to identify which bracket, or the part that the wheel/tire bolts to, is the right one.  I have two and they are different.  Can anyone shed some light one which one is for what?  Maybe one is Jet and one is Stepdown?  

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Russ, I think you have one early production model and one later production model.  Both look to me to be usable on the 54 senior size cars.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited April 2017
    Russ, they are not for a Jet.  When I fabricated the continental kit for my 54 I had a few of those same pieces you show in your foto.  I could not figure out how they were supposed to mount on the back end of the car without cutting a hole into the trunk, so I used the spare tire pivot/mount and the latch from a Jet and adapted it to fit my Hornet.  The rest of the pieces I used were for a 54 senior.

John Forkner

Here are the Jet components, I can't find an exploded view of the senior parts.

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ray Byvanks emailed me a picture of Hornet and Super Wasp continental kit parts.  It looks like they both use the same style pivot and latch as the Jet.  

John Forkner

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Did Hudson offer a continental kit from 1948 to 1953 or was 54 the only year option. ray
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Thanks for all the help.  Conny Kits were available for '54 Stepdowns and Jets.  If you see a kit on an earlier Step-Down, one of the aforementioned kits has been altered to fit the earlier body style.