6V to 12V fan

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
Anyone know of a heater fan that is a drop in replacement for the Hudson 6V?  I currently have a resistor inline but the switch gets wicked hot pulling the current through it and a 12V fan will probably make the load a lot easier.

Comments

• If only the switch you are concerned with, you can certainly put a relay in and pull almost nothing thru the switch.

• 50C8DAN
    That would probably work but it would not allow you to adjust the fan speed.

thanks
  • I guess not--probably why I haven't thought to do it. Don't know if I have a 12V motor or a resistor??
    Tks--knew I was having a brain problem today, but it seemed normal~~
  • 50C8DAN
    Thanks Ken!
  • 50C8DAN
    I am guessing when my car was rewired and the heater motor was hooked up with a resistor to allow the 6V fan to run at 12V, the original wire was used.  Since it was changed from positive ground to negative ground the fan is actually running in the opposite direction!  Ken I bought a the 12V fan you recommended.
  • 50C8DAN
    Of course that is what should be done,  but I wonder how many folks do the conversion and then don't think about it.  If you are using a resistor you still need to open up the heater box to access the other wire.  No one did that on mine from all appearance. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Scott, I purchased the 12 volt heater motor that Ken is referring to from O'Reilly's based on an earlier post by Ken-U-Tex.  I had to modify it as Ken has pointed out, and so far it works great.