54 Dash lights and Speaker

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I started to do some work on my new '54 as I am kind of a nut when it comes to things on a car - they need to work!  As with many old cars the clock and radio do not work so that needs to change.  First I checked all lights behind the dash while pulling the clock and they seem to work, but I don't get a lot of light on the dash face, not sure what the deal is.  My 50 had a dimmer but the 54 does not seem to have one.  Does anyone know what size the speaker was in the '54 model?  A 6x9 fit just fine in my 50C8, but this cutout it not even close.  BTW the 50 dash is a piece of cake to work on compared to the '54.

Comments

• I believe the 54 DOES have a dimmer.  At least mine does (assuming you are talking about a Hornet).  I can take a picture when I get home from work, but it's a very small chrome knob under the left dashboard (I think).

I feel your pain on trying to work on the dashboard.  My clock also doesn't work, and I'm willing to bet that it's just something simple like a loose/dirty connection.  However, I gave up trying to reach it.  Maybe when it warms up, I can pull the car out of my cramped garage, take out the front seat for more room to work, and give it another try.
  • I don't know if this is helpful, but I have a pic of the speaker out of the dash on my phone.  The radio works - it was rebuilt, but I have no idea if this is a replacement speaker or OEM.  Seems to fit perfectly, though. 
  • 50C8DAN
    edited April 2017
    For some reason the my '54 cutout is narrower and longer than previous years and is rectangular.  I am going to try to see if a 4 x 10 will fit.  It is strange that your cutout is different than mine?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Measure the opening then your know the size 
  • 50C8DAN
    I already did measure it!  It is just an odd size that seems to not really fit any modern speaker shape or dimension.  In fact it almost looks like there is room for two smaller speakers.  The middle narrows down to 4.X in in the middle and the length is 16 in.  I have the dash all apart, what a pain.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    You can have the speaker rebuild I know they do that .
    But I m not sure who dose it should be able to Google it.
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Check private messages.
    Larry
  • Here's a picture of the dimmer switch.  It's under the dash, below the cigarette lighter, all the way on the left.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Hornets should have the dimmer.  The less espensive cars lost the dimmer due to price constraints.   

I have had 5 - 54 Hornets. All took a 6x9 speaker.  The grill is bigger than the 48 - 53'a but the dash hole is the same.  If yours is 4x10 and the car is a Hornet, that is unusual. 

If if it takes, here is a photo of the box for the last one I bought

Lew
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    My 54 Hornet Special Coupe does not have a dimmer, and no wiring for the two back headliner lights, but it does have a nice radio thanks to Steve Engle.
  • The Hornet Specials were supposed to have used simpler Wasp interior bits, correct?
  • Browniepetersen
    I think you are right iceblade10, They also had less brightwork; but it is hard to tell because I do not have a 54 around me that I can compare with.  However, you could order any Hudson item for your special if you wanted it.
  • Browniepetersen
    I think Hudson offered a wind-up and an electric clock for 1954.  Mine came with the wind up.  It was an easy repair with a cleaning and replacement of the main spring...  the downer is that it is a 24 hour clock...
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    It's right two times a day Brownie
  • I have the electric clock, which is also correct twice a day.  I have a hard time reaching it, but I bet it's just a loose/corroded connection, because my uncle supposedly had it rebuilt some time recently.

Brownie, you can see the difference between the regular Hornet and the Hornet Special dash if you look at my pic earlier in the post - the regular Hornet has a chrome piece that spans the bottom of the dash.