Is Old Hudsonite OK to use?

junkcarfann
junkcarfann Expert Adviser
Hi...I have some factory Hudsonite in the plastic bottles...never opened...is it a good choice?  Or should I go with ATF which was in the car, and was ok. 
Thanks.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I've never heard that the stuff went bad.  Of course, you could just break down and buy some new Hudsonite from Wildrick....
  • junkcarfann
    edited March 2017
     I have about 6 old plastic bottles of this on hand, so I think I'll try it before buying more.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited March 2017
    If the use by date is 3017 should be fine to use.cause we won't be here to say it was no good.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I have a dozen or more cans out in the shop.  Never seen a plastic bottle?  I do not have a standard transmission so it has become shop art.

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    If its a plastic bottle, it is relatively new - members started packaging in plastic bottles in the early 70's.  Hudson never used plastic bottles. 
  • junkcarfann
    edited March 2017
    I just looked, these plastic bottles have the Hudson logo, Hudson parts box colors, say "Hudsonite" and appear to be produced by the factory, but actually on the back of the label says that they are made by C&P Products of Maryland. 

I have about 8 or 9, plus the box they came in, which probably held 12.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just for your information, the "old, original" recipe for the C & P Products Hudsonite came directly from American Motors and was licensed to C & P by AMC just before that company was taken over by Chrysler in the 1980's.  Currently, I believe, C & P is not producing Hudsonite.  However, Doug Wildrick does make his own version of Hudsonite which has a few different ingredients from the original (as I understand it), and may indeed be an improvement over the original version.  When I used Doug's Hudsonite, the slight chatter from my recently installed clutch, appeared to go away.  In any case, Doug's is the only Hudsonite I know of which is currently available.
  • junkcarfann
    I just put some of the C&P in because that is what is on hand. Previously I had ATF. I will get some of Doug's and use it when it comes. Thank you for all the advice.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The old original containers are worth more as garage art than the contents. LOL
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Dextron automatic transmission fluid.
  • junkcarfann
    Well I put in the fluid from the old containers, and the slight chatter the car had with ATF is gone.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited March 2017
    Maybe you just needed to change the atf. 

Also some good info on Kenneth Cates website
    http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Clutch.htm