1928 Essex Upholstery

Hi Folks,

I would like some help/guidance on the correct type of upholstery that should be in my 1928 Essex Super Six.

At some point my car lost all its original upholstery, being covered everywhere in a horrible grey vinyl except for the seats which were just simply covered over. The original upholstery on the seats is a type of Mohair Velvet, was a Flecked Blue pattern, now faded Greenish brown.

My questions are:
What material was used used on the back of the front bench seat?
What was used on the door cards, was it the same Mohair Velvet as on the seats or the same as on the door cards?
Was the headlining Napped Cotton, Wool or something else?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Wish I could be of help but I don't know much beyond my 39.However my bench seat was a wool type material so I can only guess yours may have been as well. The headliner seems to be a cotton and door panels the same. I believe all this to be all original to my car but again it is 11 years difference. I do recall a place out in Washington state I think that did original materiel for Hudson's.  Best of luck in your endeavor
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That flecked blue mohair was indeed wonderful stuff, and you won't get a repacemnet for it today unfortunately. You can get a similar nylon  plush velour material, and the same  material was used on the doors and seats, as well as around the rear corners.  The headliner was a light cotton cloth, and installed with hidden stitching so you could not see any seams.  good luck,
    Geoff 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Try here...

SMS Fabrics, Canby, Oregon

https://www.smsautofabrics.com
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Where are you located?  Possibly one of our forum members knows of, or owns, an Essex of your vintage which has the original upholstery and lives not far away, so you could see it firsthand.
  • Thank you all for your reply's, very helpful appreciate you all taking time to respond.

I am in the Republic of Ireland so Essex cars are very thin on the ground, there are one or two here though usually a couple hours drive from my location.

I have sample upholstery from both SMS Auto Fabrics & le Barron Bonney.
    I was just trying to find out what type of fabric was fitted to the areas as described on on the start of this post.

Two questions for Geoff please, the Mohair goes around the curve of the rear of the car to the line just above the top of the rear window?
    When you describe headliner as light cotton, I assume you mean a light (pale) colour such as Taupe, Fawn, Cream, Grey, which one goes best to Blue or Greenish Brown, trying to keep as near original as possible?

Regards

Steve (Ensignman)
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    STeve, when I said "Light" I should have "Lighter", i.e. less dense than the  seat cloth, but still quite a heavy fabric, nothing like the skimpy cotton headlining commonly used in English cars.   Brushed velvet type stuff would be a suitable substitute.   I used blue velour in my Essex for the seats and sides, and a light blue/grey velvet on the ceiling, but the latter was not good enough quality and has faded badly.  Mind you it was 43 years ago!  Essex were quite a large-selling car in Britain, and they even had their own  assembly plant and factory branch in Great South Road, London.  I can supply you with a Owner's manual and Parts list if you don't have these.  I am in New Zealand.    Good luck,
    Geoff 
  • Geoff,

A great many thanks, I now know what I need to do.

Regards

Steve (Ensignman)