vacuum windshield washers

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
Hi ye all Ray from the great white North 10 F and snowing. I am trying to get the vacuum washers hooked up on our 54 Hornet Hollywood.and am wondering how good do they work after hooking them up.  Hudsonly  Ray

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Can't see the future, so can't answer that question.  Hook up the system and see!

Have you had the wiper motor rebuilt or at least lubricated?  That will help.

Even when new, vacuum wiper motors would stall when cars accelerated.  That held true for all makes, not just Hudsons.  That's why they made double-action fuel pumps, which make the wipers run much better.  If you don't have them, you might think about installing one.  Trico made an Electro-Vac vacuum pump, but they're scarce and expensive.  Some folks have made six volt wiper motors that can be adapted to Hudson wipers but I'm not sure if they're still being sold.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    My vacuum wiper motor is rebuilt I am asking about how the Vacuum windshield WASHER
    pump works. Do they supply enough fluid to wash windshield.  Ray
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Welllll.  As in any such project, the end result is very dependent on the condition of the components in the system. Even if you have an "NOS" set-up, it may have leaky parts in the vacuum circuit due to age, esp. the diaphragm in the pump. If all is good and clean, it will work fine but don't expect the "pressure-washer" output of modern systems.

The vacuum pump is a vacuum-cocked, spring-pressure-applied mechanism, so spring health is a factor as well.

To quote the part that Jon said (that applied) "hook it up and see!"

F

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Oops, sorry about that!  I saw "washers" and read: "wipers!"

Before you install the whole system in the car, you could just set up the components on a bench next to the car, then run a vacuum line to the manifold and test the system, to see how much of a spray you get from the nozzles.  That way, if it doesn't work so well, you could have the time to iron out the kinks before actually putting it into the car.  Just a thought!
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    No problem Jon  and thanks for everyone's help. Ray
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Hmmmmm. That is a good idea.

F