1947 Hudson Pickup Rear Spring Shackle Question

stbryson
stbryson Senior Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could post a photo of the rear spring shackle for the rear springs on a 1947 Hudson pickup truck?  I think the shackles on mine have been replaced with non-original type ones.

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson

Comments

• sent picture to your email. Hope it helps.
  • stbryson
    Hello Mr. Klemm,

I received the pictures, and they were exactly what I was looking for.  It looks like my rear shackles were modified at some point.

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Keep in mind that the left rear shackle is left-hand threaded

• stbryson
    Hello Uncle Josh,

Thank you for the reminder.  I have a set of NOS rear spring shackles, but I am not sure what was done to modify what is now on the truck.  This is what the rear spring shackles on my truck look like:

• Uncle Josh

If the wind and snow lets up today, I'll see if I can get a pic of mine for ya

• Uncle Josh
    edited March 2017
    This is how it goes.  The frame has some fish plating, grease, rust and gunge so ignore that.
    006.JPG 369.4K
  • stbryson
    Hello Uncle Josh,

Thank you for the photo.  Between your photo, and the ones Mr. Klemm sent to me, I have a pretty good idea of how the shackles are supposed to be.

I have seen replacement shackles like the ones on my truck for sale on E-Bay.  I suppose it was an easier way to replace the shackles than with the original-type ones.

As I mentioned, I have NOS shackles of the correct type (a left and a right), so hopefully no modification was done to the frame when they were changed.

Take care,

Steve Bryson
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If you can live with non-originality, I would recommend  keeping the double-sided shackle.
  • stbryson
    Hello Geoff C.,

If I would be replacing bushings anyway, would you still recommend the double-sided shackle?  If so, does the double-sided shackle work better than the original-style?  I have NOS original shackles for both sides, but I have seen the double-sided ones for sale on the Internet.

Take care,

Steve Bryson