Correct Spark Plug Advice Needed

53hud54
53hud54 Member
edited February 2017 in HUDSON
Looking for advice on correct plugs for '54 308 with aluminum head,manual calls for H11,NAPA converts to H10C (Champion). Just want to be sure,it had H8C's in her which are not right,they are for earlier models.I put in all new points,rotor,cond.,cap and wires,fresh can of gas hooked to fuel pump until I can clean the tank,hope she'll be running tomorrow.Good compression with 29,000 miles.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    H11's are getting hard to find, as they have been discontinued.  I recently found a couple dozen unopened in their original boxes, but that's getting to be a rare find.  H10's are the modern go-to and work well, with or without an aluminum head.  
  • Thanks Russ,cross your fingers for me,last run six years ago with the wrong plugs,could that be why they where fouled? I didn't hear it then,my old friend who had it was disappointed with it then,but I checked compression and she's near perfect. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have had the good fortune of finding H11 plugs in the lawn care machine replacement parts area of Lowes and Home Depot
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited February 2017

I use NGK B7HS without a problem. Color is always good meaning heat range is correct for me.  Walt also recommends NGK based on quality and performance.
    These are not the exotic iridium or platinum. $2.00 @ Advance(#5110).
    Had bad experiences with Champion during the last 40 years !! 
    note: CI head.

• terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    I agree, NGK are the default plug for my old cars.
  • I'm with Richard.

The only plugs I've ever had that gave me trouble were Champions. I'll admit it was a very long time ago, but some things just stick with you. I'm an NGK guy.

Frank

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have used nothing but Champions  for last 60 years, never had a problem in normal running.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Interesting that Rock Auto lists different plugs for 51, 52 and 53 Hornets ie H8, H10C and H12
  • Uncle Josh,the master parts catalog also lists three different plugs,depending on model and year,all Hornets '51-'54 using H11,all other models '48-'50 and A and B models using H8,all other C and D models using H10.