Finally A Part of The Hudson Community

Hello Everyone, 

Recently I stumbled across my dream vehicle, a 1946 Hudson Pickup. Oddly enough I found it just browsing Instagram. I purchased it off the second owner who thought he would finish it but ended up parking it and letting it sit. Still had the license plate from 1956 on it. Overall it is okay but pretty rough, which is to be expected from an old farm truck. Someone at one point decided to use it as target practice so it has some bullet holes, and of course plenty of surface rust and the floorboards are done. Unfortunately, it is also missing all of the trim so I will be trying to track all of it down here. 

I will being keeping everyone up to date as I begin this adventure of bringing this thing back to life. I've rebuilt vehicles in the past but never anything to this extent so I am looking forward to interacting with everyone here while seeking out guidance. 

V/r, 

Ryan 

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Hello Ryan,  dont hesitate to ask questions and post pictures.
    What are your plans for the PU?
    Location?
  • Absolutely! Well I already have it stripped it down and have begun doing some minor body work. Luckily I received a complete extra front clip so I get to choose which ones are better. Overall my goal is to turn it into a daily driver. The engine and transmission are shot on it, as is the majority of the frame. There are a couple of rather large areas that have rusted through. I have decided to chassis swap it due to the level of disrepair. As I am located in WA I have to deal with snow roughly half the year and I don't want that to stop me. After a decent amount of research I will be looking to swap it with a 2nd generation 4x4 Dodge Dakota. They have similar wheelbase and track width so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. 
  • Wa.?  Hmmmm. Don't scrap that engine/trans just yet. Check your PMs please.

Frank in Wa.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Welcome! And congratulations on your purchase.

If your object is to do the Dakota swap, go ahead.  However, if you're choosing that only because you're afraid it will be difficult / expensive to find a replacement frame and body parts, be aware that there are quite a few of these trucks around (including parts trucks) and that many of the parts on the truck will interchange with Hudson passenger cars.

If you're not yet a member of the H-E-T and you intend to hold onto this vehicle, you might want to consider joining. http://www.hetclub.org/   That way you can tap into the Hudson "network".  Some of the people you meet there, may know where you can find the parts you need -- maybe even locally.

The chapter for your area is the Northwest Chapter and you can find contact information here:  http://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=516    If you contact the president or editor you could find out when and where the next meeting is.  I'm sure they'd like to meet you and hear about your project.
  • nice ride. heap of potential.
    If i had it i would throw a cummings up front. or maybe something odd like a V12.

Not sure if it was on here or the web.
    Saw a hudson truck that could convert to a tow truck. The tow boom folded down to lay flat into the deck. Looked cool and seemed to work well. Given me ideas for a future build at some point.

What ever you do im sure it will look wicked in the end.

Alex
  • Jon,

it it is partially the fact that most of the components are shot and I realize it will be somewhat costly to replace as well as time consuming to track down. I do plan on selling off all the items that I won't be using here in order to give them a new life to ensure others get back on road. Overall I want to do the swap because it's never been done before, it will give me all the modern comforts with all the classic style that we all love. I know it won't be for everyone, but I'll love it for everything it is and isn't.