Carter 749s help

so a few weeks ago I decided to rebuild my carb because it flooded the engine in the middle of an intersection. There was a good 3/8s of fuel sitting in the bottom of my intake manifold. I got the parts the other day and gave it a good clean and replaced what parts I was given. Put it back on the car and it started fine, then the next day it had trouble starting and there was a little gas sitting in the manifold again but nowhere near the amount as before.

You may note in the picture the carb has a spring that is not attached but seems to hold the pin in place, should that be attached somewhere?
So how's the fuel getting down there when Im not even giving it throttle?
do I need a fuel pressure regulator? 
Is my needle valve not seating and that is allowing blowby? 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited February 2017
    You have not placed the metering rod spring in place.  Go to my website select "fuel" from the index and find the rebuild chart for your carb.http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html
  • Thanks! I got it pulled up right now, my spring is currently broken. Do you know of someone who sells them? Or perhaps use a pen spring?
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Yes, spring needs to be properly positioned.  Float level and condition of needle and seat
    can also cause the flooding problem.   I'm more concerned about the carb number.  749S  is for the 232 engine.  Also the base of the carb shown looks like mounting holes were "altered/stretched".  
    Good luck.
    "Ric"
  • When I bought the rebuild kit it showed it was for a commodore, if I got a proper carburaetor Im sure I'd get better mileage and power too
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    If your avitar is of the car you are trying to fix, the 748s is the wrong carb for a Jet.  The Jet carb is a  2009s
  • Like old farmer confirmed I need a 2009s, if you have one of those that'd be helpful as I would like to have this car proper. And I have just a mechanical fuel pump. After rebuilding the thing I was hoping it would've gotten rid of the issue but I'll take a second look 
  • From what I've read this float is a half inch off, this true? 
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Are you measuring float drop ?? or height ?  Did you study the procedure for these settings?  Will never get that carb, designed for a much bigger displacement engine to work properly on a Jet.   
    I may have a Jet carb in my parts pile.  Will look tomorrow and respond.

"Ric"
  • It was float drop, and if you have one that'd be awesome!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Try Vapinc, http://www.vapinc.com/carbs/ , they seem to list a 2009 but it's not clear whether they actually have one on the shelf, or the price is for rebuilding yours.  Either way, not cheap!
  • Thanks Jon! Thankfully didn't have to go that route, over $200 WHOO thats a hefty price.