Help needed about O ring on 1936 6cyl oil pan gasket.

junkcarfann
junkcarfann Expert Adviser
edited February 2017 in HUDSON
Its been a while since I had the pan off of a splasher six. This one is a 1936 Terraplane...can someone help me with the location of the O -ring for the oil pan?  Is it between the gaskets, or above them next to the block? Or someplace else?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Next to the block,last item installed before lifting pans in place.   
  • junkcarfann
    Thank you!

• Junk,

I believe you'll find that the '36 has no provision for an O-ring at the suction pipe-to-block interface. The use of that ring begins in 1939, although earlier blocks could have been modified with a chamfer of the correct proportions to accommodate it......but I doubt that it has been done.

Check the block pan flange at the suction pipe entry point to see if it has a fairly obvious 45 degree chamfer. If it doesn't (which is my prediction) the O-ring isn't used.....just the pan/dipper tray gaskets.

Frank 

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited February 2017

I should have added that the full gasket sets include that O-ring since it is made to accommodate a span of years including those the use it and those that don't, so it will be there, but not used in the pre-'39 engines.

F

• junkcarfann
    Thanks Frank...the last one I did was a 1940, this is a 1936...thanks for the very helpful information.