Paxton Supercharger

I'm contemplating putting an old Paxton centrifugal supercharger on my 1949 Hudson 262 six cylinder.
Has anyone of you members put one on a Hudson and if so, could you give me some specific advice as far as brackets, pulley size, double pulley balancer, and any directions or problems you had along the way.
I've done quite a bit of searching, but not found specific info from someone who did this to their own car.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    PaceRacer sold his car and no longer is involved. Larry Hudson who posts here maybe able to get his son to jump on for a tutorial on this subject... 
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Hudsonator is not involved in cars any more. I know he spent a lot of time talking to Rudy Bennett and PaceRacer on the subject. Pace Racer is the last one I knew of actually running one on the dragstrip. I saw where Rudy posted not long ago. He is the one we got all of our Mccullah  stuff from. He would be a good one to talk to. The Studebaker boys are another good source of info. Rudy finally went turbo and so was PaceRacer. I don't think PR got his project off the ground. Rudy does run a turbo on a 262 and from all reports he loves it.  Hope this helps.  L Hud
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks Larry - my best to you and the family! Ken
  • Don't know if this we'll help, saw this at Speed Week a couple of years ago.  Sitting on a Packard 8
  • Found a couple of more shots
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    edited February 2017
    McCulloch/Paxton superchargers were put on just about everything. If you have not checked you should look up info on these, there is a lot out there. A California outfit called "paradise Wheels" offers rebuilding kits and other information. I have never heard of a Hudson bracket produced by McCulloch but I have a friend who built a ground-up system on a 331 Cadillac. There are things you need, like a correct 7" "fat" pulley to both accommodate the special belt and attain the correct rpm ratio. It would seem to me the best way to go is to find a complete '54 Kaiser unit. Kaiser put these blowers on their flat six's in 1954 (only). I think the Kaiser Carter WCD and it's chamber would bolt directly to a single carb. Hudson intake. The Hudson WGD and the WCD have the same four bolt base. Probably would also work on a twin-H setup but you would need to find another WCD. I've seen these carbs and rebuilding kits on Ebay. Packard put these blowers on the Panther, but only 3(?) were built and I've never seen an engine bay of a Panther (e.g. did they use a four barrel or a two barrel).