Timing Gear and Water Pump Questions

Good evening. I am about to embark on some work on my 1952 Hornet--the water pump has gone bad and there is a leak at the timing cover. I have all of the necessary parts (including the new true roller timing chains from Randy Mass). I have been through the service manual, but have a few questions. 

The manual says to use the Kent Moore J-676C  puller to remove the dampener. I do not own a puller and was planning to rent from AutoZone. I assume that will work. Is there a particular size that I will need?  

The manual says to use the J-2776 tool to remove and install the oil seal in the timing cover. Is there something else I can use instead?  It seems like the seal should be able to just pop out and I am replacing with a new one.  Is there any particular tool to use to install the new seal or can I just press it in?

Randy's instructions on the timing gear replacement seem straightforward and everything is marked. Do I need a separate tool to remove the crankshaft gear and install the new gear as noted in the manual?  Or can I make do with the puller used to remove the dampener?

Finally, do I use anything like Permatex on the timing cover gasket?

As for the water pump, the reconditioned pump
came with the gasket not attached to the backplate or pump due to concerns about it drying out. Any recommendations on the sealer to use to attach the gasket to the backplate of the pump?

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Comments